I know, I know, everyone’s local race is the best race out there. But according to USA Cycling the Austin Driveway Series IS the best!
This race series is one that I love supporting. It’s a shame we all can’t be outside racing bikes right now but the Driveway Series has converted to Zwift during this global pandemic and best of all it’s FREE! Complete with live commentary, it’s definitely a great way to get in some quarantine racing.
I gain no benefit in posting this, just want to support a race series that I really love.
If you want to try your hand against EF Pro Cycling’s Lawson Craddock he’s been racing the P12 race every week.
Thought I would share the details in the event any of you are looking for some racing or variety…
Week 6 of the Lifetime Driveway Series p/b The Meteor continues on Zwift for Week 4 on Thursday April 16th! A, B, and C races will start together at 6:30PM CST this Thursday. Races will continue every Thursday thru May 7. Registration is FREE and open to all. You will however need to have a paid Zwift account. A registration link, as well as links for how to get started on Zwift, for Z-beginners can be found on our website: www.drivewayseries.com.
DRIVEWAY SERIES ZWIFT FUND: Many of you have asked if you could offer up a cash donation to the Driveway/Holland Racing for our efforts to keep the Driveway Series alive virtually via Zwift. Our intention has always been to offer Zwift Driveway races for free as a way for our community to stay connected.
However a fund like this helps offset the hit we’re taking by not being able to collect weekly registration fees. In reality, we are still paying for services like trash, recycling, contract workers and costs incurred to get the series started on March 12th.
So if you’d like to make a donation, we thank you, link is below! You will automatically be entered into a weekly drawing for some awesome prizes from our sponsors which we will mail to you! If you’re not in a position to do so, hey no sweat, we totally get it. Zwift races are still free and open to all. You do not have to make a donation to participate.
Link to donate: https://www.bikereg.com/driveway-series-zwift
April 16th INFO:
COURSE: Weaver Technologies Racing Laguardia Loop - Reversed
- A Race - Brad Houston Law p/b Ueckert Dentistry P1/2/3 - 14 Laps, 25.9 Miles
- B Race - Ervin Law Firm-Criminal Defense Cat 3/4 - 11 Laps, 20.7 Miles
- C Race - Rothe Training Cat 4/5 - 8 Laps, 15.5 Miles
MECHANICAL SERVICE: Curbside drop-off and pick-up of for bikes needing repair and service is available at Mellow Johnny’s call 512-473-0222.
WELLNESS: Buy Gift Certificates and/or schedule a future massage Austin Massage Company- www.austinmassagecompany.com
RECOVERY FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- Beer, Wine, Food Pick Up & Free Delivery available at The Meteor Austin
- Margaritas & Tex Mex Pickup & Delivery available at La Mancha Tex Mex Tavern
- Pickup from Austin Eastciders Collaboratory & Hops & Grain Brewery
GETTING STARTED: https://zwift.com/video/how-to-cycling
- Here’s a video about how to get started on Zwift. It’s not as difficult or expensive as you think.
- Basically, you do not need a fancy trainer, or even a power meter to participate. All you need is a bike, regular old trainer, and a power sensor. A heart rate monitor helps. You won’t be included in the final results without a connected power meter (either on your bike or built into a smart trainer, if you have one) but you’ll at least be able to participate.
- REMINDER: to be included in the results, you’ll need to set up a Zwiftpower.com account. It’s FREE. Here’s an article about how to start Zwift racing as well as some general strategy tips. https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-race/
- You will not be included in the published results unless you have a Zwift Power Account set up prior to the race. If you don’t care about results, you’re fine. If you do, please go set up your account now.
- We are using unfiltered Zwift Power Results in our spreadsheet.
GENERAL ZWIFT & ZWIFT POWER TIPS:
- Make sure your Zwift profile is NOT set to private.
- Be sure to sign all of the privacy waivers when setting up your zwiftpower.com account. You will not be included in the results unless all waivers are signed, and your account is public.
- Make sure your weight is accurate. Zwiftpower.com flags performances with abnormally high w/kg and you’ll be booted if, for example, because you entered a lighter weight for yourself, you’ve averaging 9 w/kg the entire race (yes, it happens in Zwift racing #weightdoping).
HOW TO JOIN THE RACE ON RACE DAY:
- Day of you’ll want to be on Zwift a bit early before your race warming up. A few minutes before the race starts you’ll see a notification pop up with a countdown clock asking you if you want to join the race. Click yes and your warm up will automatically end and be saved (don’t worry you don’t lose the miles) and you’ll be transported, virtually, to a warm up area at the virtual start line. The irony of all ironies is that you’ll be warming up on a virtual trainer, on your screen, next to hundreds of other racers also warming up on virtual trainers, while actually on a trainer in real life. We find this detail quite funny.
- if you feel like you need some help or have questions, several of our wonderful Murff BADA mentors p/b Dr. Savage are well versed in Zwift. Drop them a line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay safe ya’ll!
Andrew, Holly & Kelley