Coffee & Dehydration, Poor Sleep Quality, Getting Dropped, and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 375

Coach Jonathan is out on paternity leave, so the rest of the podcast crew will be hosting for the next month. Up first? Our very own Coach Chad! We’ll cover if coffee drinkers should manage their hydration differently, do recovery days hurt sleep quality, and reasons why you are getting dropped even when you’re fit. Tune in to Episode 375 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast for discussions on these topics and much more!

Tune in Thursday at 8:00am Pacific!

Topics Covered in This Episode

• Should coffee drinkers hydrate differently
  • Why you are getting dropped
  • Do recovery days hurt sleep quality?
  • How to return to training when motivation is low

Resources Mentioned in This Episode:

1. 2003 Maughn & Griffin
  2. 2012 Killer, Hodgson
  3. 2014 Killer/Blannin/Jeuk; Zhang et al
  4. Maughn 2015 randomized trial
  5. Wall et al 2003
  6. Hausswirth et al, 2014
  7. 2020 Campbell et al
  8. Rvw in Nutrients, 2014
  9. Gabriel Martins/Juan del Coso, 2019
  10. Tim Podlogar et al, 2020

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

8 Likes

If as the linked research shows that sleep data can show overtraining/over reaching, will TR use our sleep data in input into adaptive training?

Which also gets avg HRV during sleep if you have a fr955 or a Fenix 7 on the current beta firmware. (https://intervals.icu/ uses some of that data currently)

2 Likes

“Beer is mandatory.” :+1:

4 Likes

K-cups for life! Yea, yea, I know. They’re bad for the environment, but I just don’t have the time or patience for pour-over. Maybe when I retire I’ll become a slow-brew-coffee-guru.

Great job today King, Overlord, and Master-of-Watt-Science, Coach Chad!

Just to state what most probably already know… there are reusable K-cup styles out there. These allow (require) you to add your own ground coffee, but reduces the cup waste and still gives the ease of use from that style of coffee maker.

1 Like

Chad you did great. Interested to see how the round robin shakes out before Jonathan gets back.

@Nate_Pearson Talk for 2 hours, but make sure what you talk about can be edited down into snippets for the yet to be released sub category of videos “60 Second Nate” - Extemporaneous Tips from Nate in about 60 seconds.

I ditched the k-cups and now do an ESPRO (double screen french press) No chunks and great coffee in about 5 minutes and not contributing to the k-cups circling the earth (last total was at 10 times around and growing)

Beer doesn’t dehydrate? Well I suppose that means I can keep on having non-alcoholic while still in season and not torch my training.

2 Likes

Coach Chad kicked butt doing double duty. Buy the man a beer or three. Yes, I miss Beers with Chad. I hope when Nate host Chad eats his lunch when there is a pause.

I checked the Skratch crispy rice cake I like, chocolate & mallow, it has 34 grams of carbs. I can eat one easily to add carbs, reduce pallet fatigue from liquid fuel and Skratch crews and it gives my stomach something to work on. Any ride over 2 hours I throw one in my jersey.

I heard a reference to @ambermalika. Is she still with TR? Really enjoy @IvyAudrain and would be interesting to have both of them on one podcast. When @Jonathan gets back have Ivy, Amber, Hanna, and Sophia in one show. It could bring up things never covered.

2 Likes

Agree with the sentiments above.

Great job @chad @IvyAudrain and @Nate_Pearson fun and informative Pod.

1 Like

More @chad as host. He was great, 10/10.

6 Likes

I have a ninja coffeemaker that will brew single cups just like it would brew a pot. Just set it to single, put two scoops of coffee in a regular coffee filter and boom. During a day I don’t even bother to put a clean filter in there, I just pile more coffee on top and brew until i can’t brew anymore. works really well.

2 Likes

Great job Chad! Different personalities do things differently. What works for Jonathan wouldn’t necessarily work for you and vice versa! I like this version of the podcast!

The only issue I see with Chad hosting is that he is basically the “meat” of the podcast. His deep dives are why I listen and I’m always happy when he’s on because I know he is going to present research. If he is the host, its hard to be the main attraction and the host at the same time.

HA! I was thinking this too!

Save the planet!

1 Like

I have been shamed…

1 Like

I prefer French Press Coffee, but the lack of filter allows the “coffee oils” to stay in the brew. In some, this will raise your cholesterol. Certainly did for me, so I use filtered coffee these days.

hey come to my house when kiddo #1 shows up with her masters in environmental/civil engineering and day job cleaning up ground water. She has been here at least 4 times this summer and everytime we are shamed over something new LOL :joy:

1 Like

I second Nate’s feedback about light roast pour-overs. Highly recommended :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This can raise LDL? I did not know that. Over the past 10 years I’ve been getting flagged for high overall cholesterol, but never for the ratio. my HDL has been high but my GP (who’s also sports medicine) and cardiologist haven’t seemed to worried about it. LOTS of excercise seems to defuse a lot of conversations. Not all, but many.

My wife and I swapped from French press to Chemex pour over, because of her cholesterol. Subsequent checks after the switch have shown reductions to get here more into the acceptable range. She was reading similar comments about the press and how it draws parts of the coffee out.

2 Likes

It never occurred to me that the oils from coffee would be that big of a factor, even more so at the quantity one would get from 2 cups. I wonder if the roast matters there? Darker roasts, less caffeine, but more oils and more caffeine in light, but are the oils impacted as well.
Mark this as a new question for Coach Chad. #IMPORTANT!

1 Like

I won’t claim to be any level of expert here. She did all her own research, but my quick skims also showed it can be one place to improve, among many of the other typical considerations.