ClimbPro on Garmin

4 proper climbs in the mountains today. ClimbPro ended perfectly at the top of climb on 3 of 4. On the 4th climb, we were only 388 feet from the top and took a left and detoured on a 10 mile out-n-back… upon returning to the climb it took my 530 a little time to return to the route and it missed the top by ~5 seconds.

How does climb pro work with Strava live segments? Are both features being displayed?

I find ClimbPro very annoying and have turned it off…

3 Likes

why annoying?

I like riding TR sessions in the road, so tend to focus on one or two screens on the Garmin. When the ClimbPro screen pops up, it’s distracting, plus you then have to scroll through screens get back to the one you were on.

So have turned it off :woozy_face:

4 Likes

I did likewise as I find it annoying too. Especially when you are looking at some other stats in a TT or something and it pops up dominating the screen for a insignificant little bump (this area is full of them).

2 Likes

then again, you can keep it active and just switch off the popup at the strt of a climb

True, but now it’s off I don’t miss it…

2 Likes

Is it posible to use ClimbPro without navigating saved course like just pinning the POI on map or something like this?

Yes, it pops up regardless of navigation until you switch it off in the settings. For me around here with nothing you could actually call a climb it was a bit annoying until I figured out how to disable it in the ride profile :joy:

ClimbPro currently only appears on a course sent to the device: https://support.garmin.com/en-AU/?faq=KKRLD2Fo6MAlCXOzUZb1e9

“The ClimbPro feature helps you manage your effort for the upcoming climbs on a course. Once a course is created and sent to your compatible device, ClimbPro allows you to view details about the climbs before and during your ride, including the number of climbs, when they occur, average gradient, and total ascent.”

2 Likes

It would pop up my 1030 regardless of navigation it was rather annoying with no hills round here. Perhaps they have updated it in the last 6 months.

Edit: just checked the option is still there on the 1030 to turn ClimbPro on in a profile. I think I’ll leave it off though for my ride in the morning :+1:

ClimbPro only appear when I’m navigating a course. Been using a 530 for 2.5 years, with 1 profile for all outside rides.

2 Likes

I had to disable it as it was coming up all the time but that’s Garmin for you :exploding_head:

It would be great if Garmin would update Climb Pro to sort of work like segments: learn climbs on routes you’ve ridden in the past, and allow you to favorite climbs, so that if you aren’t on a course, Climb Pro would pop-up for any climb that you’ve favorited.

2 Likes

Exactly.

With the last set of updates, Climb Pro has gotten better, but still has room to improve. I still wish I could setup a route in Garmin Connect, and then mark the segments I’d like to see as climbs. It just seems so arbitrary at what it sets as a climb. I still use it regularly, but yeah, it can be better.

1 Like

Like Alpha Dog it would be great to favorite a Strava segment and have it used as a climb. Something like that. A wee bit more control over using it w/o navigation, and what constitutes a climb.

1 Like

So it looks like Hammerhead updated its CLIMBR functionality to not require a route to use - link is to DC Rainmaker article

5 Likes

Raising the bar! Any bets on when Garmin releases this feature?

1 Like