Chinese carbon wheelsets?

Caden wheels from Carbonwheels.com.au are similarly priced and based in Sydney, excellent wheels with great service and support.

I fail to see why anyone would get Chinese wheels when you can get a set of Flo Wheels or Hed Jet+ sets cheaper of same price.

You are certain to get good customer service, good resale value, and warranties with them.

Oh wow! I didn’t know they existed! Definitely will look into them.

Sorry, got the address wrong.

1 Like

I purchased a set of Farsports wheels in 2016, 38 mm clinchers. This past season the back wheel brake track developed deformities and started chipping off. When I took the wheel off you could feel the bows in the wheels. They wouldn’t replace since it was past the 18 month warranty but did offer a discount price for a new wheel.

I opted to go for the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 TLR instead and couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

My brother and I both use farsports 50mm clinchers with zero issues. I know they have been popular within our club over the years. A lot of the guys had moved onto more name brands but that would have been before farsports had the U shape I reckon.

By the sound of the responses, I feel a lot of these non-name brand wheels can be good most of the time, but their quality control is not as rigorous as the name-branded stuff, so if you’re unlucky, you get a set that really shouldn’t pass the QA, but somehow it slipped through the gap.

From people I know of who have had issues, the Chinese companies tend to have better customer service than some on the name brand ones. But, some will be better than others in that department. The key is buying from the companies that have good reputations.

I’ve had great experiences with Light Bicycle, both disc road and mtb

2 Likes

I’m currently at about 7 Light Bicycle wheelsets purchased. I did crack one CX rim, but I would say it was totally my fault (riding rocky trail at 18 psi). Based on the cost I paid for the rims, I’m still a happy with the value proposition.

2 Likes

MTB XCO and XCM racer with Light Bicycle rims. Love them and have had no issues. I even got a stick jammed in between the rear wheel, broke 2 spokes and snapped the rear derailleur. Took it into my LBS and the wheel was true as the day I bought it. That’s after a full season of racing and about 15 various washouts and minor crashes. Those carbon rims are bullet proof.

I bought a set of the 60x25mm clinchers this time last year. Have had no issues and am very happy with them. I was a bit unsure being a heavier rider (90-95kg) but they have been great. I got the swiss stop pads when I bought them and braking is fine

I’ve purchased two sets from the seller SpeedCarbon11 on eBay and have had zero problems. One set is 38mm disc that has at least 30 cyclocross races on it and many miles of commuting. They set up tubeless just fine and have been completely bomb proof for my 140 lbs. They haven’t need trying, and the hubs still spin very well. At 1650 grams and about $420, I have zero complaints.

I later bought 50mm wheels from the same vendor, for about the same price, for use on my road and tri bikes, and have been just as satisfied.

That said I’m looking at Yoeleo for my next purchase, which are more expensive than my other sets, but evidently are quite aero and still far less than the big name brands.

Yep Yoeleo or Farsport seem to be the most reliable in terms of quality etc. I got a pair of 60mm wheels from Farsport and been superb.

I went with a brand called Ican. There is a guy out here in SoCal who has some good YouTube reviews on a few of there wheelsets.

I went with 38mm with Sapim CX-Ray Spokes for climbing out in the mountains here in California. I have a little over 2500 miles on the wheels. Have gone over some pretty rough tarmac/asfault. Hit a huge pothole going about 30mph on a down hill and thought for sure the rims were going to be damaged, and nothing. Rims are still true as the first day I got them. They are definitely tough rims and come with a two year guarantee. For the price they are hard to beat. For everyday training they are great and I would not hesitate buying another set if I had to.

2 Likes

First proper bike related purchase after a long hiatus.
I was in the market for a new bike, because, who’s not eh.
Instead, decided to treat myself to some Light Bicycle 45ers.
Pictures will be posted in a month time, when they arrive!

I’ve been on LightBicycle rims for over two years and love them. I’ve beaten them to death and they’re going strong.

3 Likes

Farsport is far to reputable and safe-looking to me. I like excitement, and when I saw a seller called ‘C-razy’, I thought, ‘Yep. Brennus, that’s the one for you!’

Bought these in May of 2017. They haven’t killed me yet. In fact they’ve been just kind of normal wheels.

The most extraordinary thing I can say about them is that the freewheel sound is loud enough that I don’t need a shout or a bell when I come up behind somebody on a bike trail. I just freewheel for 10 meters and they always turn around to look.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32803803928.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dV5fGkw

1 Like

I bought a Farsports set with DT Swiss hubs and I’m very satisfied with the product.

About how safe they are, I have actually broken the back rims two times by driving over deep potholes at high speeds. Both times would have broken brand alloy wheels and both times the wheels were sound enough to get me home after the incident. In fact, the second time was during the first 100km of a 300km epic ride that I had paid for, so I opted to finish the ride with a very visibly dented rim and rode 60km the next day too. Now I trust that my Chinese carbon wheels are solidly built and aren’t putting my safety at risk.

However, as with everything, do you get what you pay for. I paid over $1k for my wheelset, so they weren’t exactly cheap and researched the brand before buying the set. They are brand wheels, just happen to be a Chinese brand. I wouldn’t trust my life to some no brand $200 Ali wheel.

I have disk brakes to braking quality is a no issue for me. Many people say that braking surface quality can be an issue if you have rim brakes.

1 Like

I think this is the key.
I also did a lot of research before splurging 1k on the LB wheels. I’m not saying the 200 wheelset will be rubbish, but I’d be sure to get some feedback from users at least before parting with cash.