Chinese carbon wheelsets?

Has anyone heard, owned, used, or have any experience with Farsport Chinese carbon wheelsets? From my research (both in English and Chinese), this wheelset and the company sounds promising.

I’m considering getting a set of their Ventoux C5 with ceramicspeed hubs. This is a carbon wheelset with 45mm depth in the front, 50mm in the back. It’s priced at around A$1,500/A$1,600 (for the set). Are there any reasons this is not a good investment?

2 Likes

There is a team here that are sponsored by Farsport. Haven’t ridden the wheels but they seem relatively happy with them and I’ve seen none of them fail/collapse around me in races!

It was actually a friend from China who was on a local pro team that made me aware of farsport. So I wanted to get a second opinion.

Unfortunately for me, I wanted something with 60mm deep with good hubs, but the C5 is the deepest with ceramicspeed hubs.

Have you considered import taxes? I was looking for a carbon frame from China but after taxes (in European Union) the price was as not as tempting anymore. Also look into warranty support available in your location.

Zero warranty support after I take it out of the country. Also no import tax as I’m bringing it back in person.

There is a lot of discussion of these wheelsets on Weight Weenies - Index page

no affiliation. no first-hand use experience.

I just received a set of Farsports 50x25mm tubeless compatible wheels. I’ve only ridden them once so far and I didn’t die. The braking sucks with the provided pads, however. I need to find another pad or maybe they bed in and improve with mileage. The build quality is great. $500 with Novatec hubs. I read mostly positive reviews before I decided to buy them.

I raced CX/Gravel series on a disc set of Farsports w/ DT240s hubs, they were rock solid, not there not as supple as the ENVE’s I have on my road bike but they cost 1/3rd as much and are very strong.

@fidracer Interesting point about the braking. So you’re certain it’s because of the pads, not the design of the surface itself? Just by looking at the pictures, their braking surface doesn’t seem to have much grooves for the pads to bite into?

@a59a2e9a2645dbb - sounds like it’s a good bang-for-buck

Has anyone compared them to a set of 15/16 model 404 firecrest?

I’m assuming the resale value would take a big hit if that matters to you down the line. I bought a set of “unbranded” tubulars from a domestic pro (I think that’s what they are considered) over the summer. Great deal, and I figured if they were good enough for him…

I’ve had two sets,

First set did close to 12000+km (in all conditions and little care) including long down hill decent
they where the older pointier 50mm carbons with novatect hubs, and the old basalt brake tracks
When they did start to go it was a soft spot in the brake track that I noticed when cleaning the bike. no other issues never out of true, and I bombed down a fire break at 35kmh and hit a rabbit hole hard enough to rotate my handle bars, with no issues.

the second set I am still running are a set of 38mm wide rims laced on to DT350 straight pulls.
the dishing of the rear is a little off, which caused a few issues with running 25mm tires in my old frame. I am about 7500km in on these and they are still running as good as new.

In short, their not as nice a premium brand, but they are tough as nails and at $Au5-700 im not going to complain, I just replace them every so offten :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose they are not very deep, but the 50, how do they handle in the wind gusts?

The 50mm’s weren’t too bad, could get a little twitchy in REALLY strong winds, but with enough bike handling skills, you won’t notice :stuck_out_tongue:

both sets where on the light side too, 1500g for the set.

No worries, I’ll just add another rep onto the rollers

@brenchen I honestly have no idea if it’s the pads or brake track. This is my first set of carbon clinchers, too, so maybe it’s just my expectation coming from alloy wheels. I’ve read lots of comments about how carbon clincher braking is much better these days than the first generation of carbon wheels, so it could be a) these are really closer to first gen carbon wheels vs what the name brands are doing with braking now, b) the no name supplied brake pads just suck, c) new pads on new rims on a cold 40 degree ride just won’t work well right away until a transfer layer has built up on the rims with more mileage, or d) something else. Beats me. I’m going to ride some more and probably try some name brand pads like Swiss Stop Black Prince (which were an add on option from Farsports when I bought the the wheels that I passed on) or Reynolds blues.

I’ve owned 2 sets of Farsport wheels. I really don’t know shit about shit, but I thought they were great. I really appreciated their Christmas Card from the staff last year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try a set of Black Prince pads. Farsports braking surface is pretty good, 100x better than the first generation ENVEs without the catastrophic failure after a long descent. Seriously, FS carbon brake tracks are excellent, with the right pad / brake setup they should be only marginally worse than alloy rims. And don’t be afraid to put the binders on, I’ve put one set of them through 26,000km of torture in extreme heat, descents, gravel, and just about everything else without fail.

1 Like

@a59a2e9a2645dbb Cool, thanks for the Black Prince recommendation! Have you used these pads on Farsports rims? I’ve read some comments on Weight Weenies about Black Prince pads destroying the rim, but I think they were from years ago so maybe they don’t apply anymore.

I had a look at farsport last night, and looks like you can get black prince as part of the package customisation (for extra cost of course).

I bought a set of 60mm deep carbon wheels for my TT bike about 3 years ago. Really good communication about spec etc before purchase, v good tracking of package and very pleased with quality. Not had moment’s problem with them since day bought them and would use Farsport again without hesitation. I did quite a bit of research pre purchase and Farsport were one of the higher reputation brands.