Cheapest Garmin watch/head unit for outdoor workouts and AT progression

Does anyone have a view on the cheapest Garmin watch/head unit that can pickup ant+ power pedals, and be able to send outdoor workouts to and then allow those to show up as input into Adaptive Training?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Recommend the Edge 530, probably $300USD. Might be able to find it for a little less. If you can afford the Edge 830 with touch screen ($400USD) I highly recommend it for ease of use.

Im in the uk so the 530 is £259, was thinking I could get a previous generation watch for sub £200??

I use an Edge 130 plus which is about £150. No bells or whistles but works for outdoor workouts and AT. It doesn’t support the more advanced Garmin training measures.

1 Like

I wasn’t ready to shell out for a new headunit and I was interested in smartwatches, so I found a model from this list that has phone and/or wifi connectivity and was available second-hand (also no asterisk next to the name): https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032333891

I got a second-hand Fenix 3 HR smartwatch for 135 AUD (75 GBP). I use it for recording and timing workouts, but I still use my Pioneer headunit for displaying realtime power, lap times because following very short intervals is tricky with a watch only.

I use a forerunner 910xt. can be had for $75 or so used.

I’ve used a Garmin Forerunner 735xt for the past two years with outdoor workouts and TR. it works but I hate having to look at my wrist all the time to see the target power and interval time. One major gripe I have is that the target power/interval duration only flash up on the screen for a few seconds. If you miss it because of a turn or a traffic situation there’s no way of knowing what you are supposed to do for the interval. I’ve always had to read, in detail, the workout description beforehand so that I can do the workout even if I miss the interval instructions out on the road.

For the 2022 season I’ve forked out the cash for an Edge 530. Haven’t had a chance to try it out on the road yet as it’s still icy here in February.