Chain too slack? Lol

I have no idea how the chain ended up so slack in the 34-11 combo, I think I always measured my chains based on the original installed chain. I’m replacing the chain this week, but I may experiment with the old chain and remove some links to be sure of how long the new one should be

Def too slack, and if that’s a Shimano quick link it’s also installed backwards

1 Like

it’s kmc

Better now, just removed one link. Gonna put on the new one for me weekend century!

1 Like

Yip definitely too slack. I use the old chain as a guide too but I some times use the Big Big method if I have made any changes to the cassette/ chain rings.

Chain Length Sizing | Park Tool

1 Like

They can be installed backwards?

Many chain quick links feature an arrow, that should match the direction of travel, when it is under tension.

3 Likes

uhhhh brb!

edit: yup mines backwards

5 Likes

I don’t know how important that orientation is but I’m assuming if it wasn’t, it wouldn’t be labeled for any direction at all

I did have a sram power link cleanly fall apart on my MTB once under a shift and would almost bet I had the link installed wrong

ohhhhhhh there is an arrow on those…

and look at that mine is also backwards

2 Likes

The gear in question is not meant to be used anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it being slack there. I think mine is too, but it comes with the benefit of the chain+rear derailleur not being overstretched when you find yourself (usually accidentally) in the opposite gear combination of big front, big rear.

3 Likes

While I always have the quick link lined up correctly…I sometimes questions the necessity. If you look on the other side of the bike, suddenly the link is backwards. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a link backwards.

2 Likes

I think if anything it has to do with how the link is chamfered on the edges, I haven’t examined the Shimano link but I know that the inner plates and outer plates on a Shimano chain DO vary and there is a specific “out” side to the chain.

A SRAM link backwards becomes a potential issue with its flat top design I guess

1 Like

I know there is an arrow, but guess i had the diagram upside down :wink:
So another “brb” to fix it

1 Like

This is fantastic. I needed this video specifically as I am swapping my current set up: SRAM Etap AXS 48/35 with a 10-28 cassette to a 10-33 cassette on the back whilst still running the 48/35 at the front. Needed this video as I need to set the chain length again! Legend! Thank you.

1 Like

I’ll just plonk these here for your amusement…

5 Likes

Ouch! What happened here? More importantly, how on earth do I avoid this one @kevistraining?!

Did that last year on my mtb. Only took me like 7 rides to figure out that something wasn’t right :person_facepalming:

1 Like

I routed the chain around the outside of my jockey wheel cage like an idiot!

I’ve fitted loads of chains and have never made this rookie mistake before.

Only did one ride and the chain had already cut a fair way into the cage - looks like it would have fixed itself eventually :thinking:

3 Likes

I did that to my friends bike when I was helping out at a shop a while back. Luckily it never left the stand. And that bike had a carbon cage.