Chain too slack? Lol

We’ve all been there. It’s pretty obvious because your nice new shiny chain is silly loud! It’ll only cost you one quick link (Shimano say theirs aren’t re-usable). I think KMC say theirs are re-usable IIRC (I’ve been using a used 11sp KMC quick link on the trainer with an 8 speed Shimano chain for months and it’s held up well anyway).

1 Like

“not reusable”

I do generally agree tbh, but for the price of a multipack of quick links, I choose not to risk it on the bike I ride outdoors

I didn’t think the KMC links were reusable but I do keep an old one in my pocket as a get me home fix.

The KMC links say “non re-usable” in big letters on the front of the package… I think it’s more of a guide than a rule though :thinking:

Honestly, I re used mine in this case after having used it for a single ride - I wouldn’t make a habit of it.

1 Like

I have done that as well but caught it before I did a ride. One thing I always do now is back spin the crank after installing a chain. Seems like any install issues really present themselves on a back spin.

Ron

I use shimano, and the cost of 2 sets of quicklinks is at least $15. and I rewax my chain every 500 miles. That’ll add up for sure! I reuse them all the time

I find that I can reuse the Shimano ones about 3-4 times before they feel loose. I was going to buy the Connex link but it won’t last forever anyway because the roller portion wears like the regular chain anyway, so sticking to Shimano.

Also someone here noted that the chain being so slack in that gear combo is ok because “you shouldn’t be in that gear combo anyway” which I personally think is not the right approach to have for this. The chain should be the correct length, and if the argument for an extra long chain is that it will put less stress on the derailleur in the big/big combo, my retort would be “you shouldn’t be in that gear combo anyway” :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeh, I definitely wouldn’t spend that much if I were re-using them all the time. But that is some good anecdotal info. I’m yet to decide whether to clean my new race chain on or off the bike (using Tru Tension drip race lube), so good to know the links hold up well.

Must be two types :man_shrugging:

I believe the re-usable links have an R added onto the part number of the non-reusable links.

1 Like

I was actually referring to this which seemed like a careless way to go about things.

Where do I break my already ridden shimano 11 speed chain with pin to shorten it? Is the old pin a good idea or should I use another link and a new pin?
P.S. new pin anyway

You are only meant to have one quick link fitted a chain. So best to remove your current quick link and replace.

I don’t know why though, if its strong enough its strong enough surely? Maybe its to stop people from cobbling together a new chain from offcuts and quick links? :man_shrugging:

I don’t think this is necessarily true. I run 2 in my Eagle chain, I was simply told by my LBS they shouldn’t be too close together but running two per chain is ok

I didn’t mean a quick link but a pin, if it makes a difference.

Thanks, this is the information I was looking for

if the old chain is stretched you’ll carry a bad measurement over. Big-Big or another method not referring the old chain is best

Depends how you do it. If you compare the exact lengths you will carry over error but if you maintain the same number of links in the old chain in the new the error won’t carry over.