Cervelo Caledonia 5 Owners - FSA or Other Aftermarket Stems?

To any of you who own the Caledonia 5.

I have seen some links indicating that Team Jumbo Visma uses FSA stems on their Caledonias. Here is a link: Jumbo Visma Caledonia 5 I know FSA makes several fully to semi-integrated routing systems, but I could not tell from the pictures if Jumbo Visma’s setup requires anything other than a traditional stem. I know that the Caledonia 5 has a d-shaped steerer, which in theory would mean that there may be enough room to route the cables through a traditional stem and down the gap between the traditional stem and the d-shaped steerer. However, does anyone here have any experience using non-Cervelo stems with the Caledonia 5? If you use the FSA stems, does it require something like FSA’s special Cervelo: FSA Headset Cap?

EDIT: For clarification, a reason for my inquiry is that I have found another link of Jumbo Visma’s older R5 (non-internally routed frames) appearing to use the same FSA stems, which leads me to believe that these are normal, or traditional, FSA stems: LINK

Turns out I have answered at least one of my own questions, for any Caledonia 5 owners wondering the same. According to a customer support email response from Cervelo, the Cal 5 is indeed compatible with standard 28.6mm stems, and they have tested this in house. Presumably, similar to the Jumbo Visma link of the Cal 5 I posted above, you would simply need to use the proprietary headset cap and spacers underneath the stem, and you can use traditional spacers above the stem.

For those of you who like to fiddle around with stems/fit, I would also suggest the Forumla Italy Speedlock system, which I will be using on my frameset that is en route. This system has an in-line quick connect that allows you to de-couple and re-attach the hydraulic hoses at will, for any stem swaps and/or headset maintenance. Formula Speedlock

1 Like

Hi & thanks for this. I have a Cal-5 on my new bike shortlist but had concerns around having to use Cervelo proprietary stems and bars. So if what you’re saying is true then that’s great!

I was under the impression the ‘D’ shaped steerer tube required a specific stem, but sounds like you’re saying cervelo have confirmed that’s not necessary and can use any regular sized stem? I assume this would also mean you can use any regular sized handlebar too (once you’ve accounted for the hose routing)

If this Correct?
Thanks again for the info, really helpful👍🏽

As far as the stem goes, the Cervelo rep confirmed you can use a standard stem. If you look at build videos/pics of the headset, the hoses ultimately run down right next to the d-shaped steerer, despite the fact that they route through a unique hole in Cervelo’s proprietary stem. Therefore, provided you have enough room through the center of a conventional stem, they would just route through the middle of the stem, and drop down into the custom headset bearing upper race, which has a gap between the d-shaped steerer and the bearing.

As far as handlebars, the trick (as you have already noted) is routing that gets your cables into the stem. Cervelo’s proprietary bar has a groove which runs all the way into the stem clamp area, allowing you to get the cables into the stem. If you use a third-party handlebar without this groove, it would need to have internal routing from the shifter clamp area, and a hole in the back of the handlebar at the stem clamp area. In other words, you need a way to get the cables into the stem other than Cervelo’s groove method.

1 Like

That’s really interesting and thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know of any after market aero type handlebars that works for this purpose - either groove type or internally routed with a hole?
Thanks again👍🏽

Perhaps these?
https://www.3t.bike/en/products/dropbars/aeroflux-714.html

The Enve SES AR. bar has a hole in the rear. I think other Enve bars may also have the hole in the rear. Also, the Prime Primavera bar seems to fit the bill. Finally, I’m pretty sure any of FSA or Deda’s options meant to work with their various routing systems will work.

1 Like

That’s really helpful & many thanks again.

As an aside, I’ve a Cal-5 on order (but no idea when it will show up). Are you / have you been happy with yours? what kind of riding did you purchase the bike for?

It should arrive today, so I’ll let you know how I like it once I build it up. I purchased the frameset pre-owned, but the owner seemed very detail-oriented in terms of maintenance in answering all of my questions, and the frame looks pristine! In terms of riding, I intend to primarily use the bike for road riding, and will build it up with a road-oriented Ultegra 12 speed Di2 – 52/36 chainrings & 11-30 cassette, with options for 50/34 and 11-34 gearing as well.

1 Like

Great, good luck with the build. Please do let me know how you get on with riding the bike. I’ve a feeling is going to be a long while until mine arrives…

Quick update on the stem. While it is technically compatible with standard stems, it looks to be an extremely tight fit in terms of routing the cables through a standard stem and down the steerer. I would be a little worried about crimping the cables running them through a standard stem. It almost seems as if Jumbo Visma may have some sort of custom FSA stem that is not available to the general public, which may have some sort of routing hole/channel similar to the stock Cervelo stems.

Also, I would note that, probably due to the hydraulic hose groove and reinforcement to that area, the Cervelo Caledonia-specific bars are pretty heavy for a carbon bar (285ish grams). Between that, the slightly heavier frame weight, and the proprietary stem (also a bit heavier), I see why a lot of Caledonia builds don’t come out featherweight.

If someone does want to cobble other options, it looks like the DEDA Superbox and SCR system stems are technically compatible with the Caledonia, though DEDA makes a proprietary headset cover which might be required.

Hold up… It does look like a 1 1/4 steerer (31.8) instead of the more common 1 1/8 steerer with an additional irregular shape. Look at the headset spec. The cable routing is down the front.

I found these really quick…
FSA ACR - NS SMR STEM 1-1/4 | FSA this one only and Cervelo spec top cap ACR Spacer for Cervelo Caledonia . FSA Calls 31.8 “OS”
Scott RR ic stems https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/syncros-rr-2-0-stem?article=2881230001252
BMC ics

The thing to keep in mind is that these stems all have special shaped spacers, which then connect to a special shaped top cap. That top cap mates to the frame and cable management. You can usually mismatch them without issue, but it’ll look funny.

Edit: @finncox23 covered most of this while I was composing
Zoom in on this guy https://dvy7d3tlxdpkf.cloudfront.net/team-jumbo/Cervelo-Caledonia.jpg
I think what the mechanic did here was just take a set of bars that had a center internal cable routing exit, route the cables through the stem all the way, and when they hit the D shaped steerer, make a sharp 90deg turn downward, using the FSA ACR dust cap which has an opening there. Normally the FSA cable routing stems have a cable bucket on the bottom. He only did this so the rider could run that super long stem (140mm? -17deg stem this is probably a custom/non-catalog part anyway the team has which is why it is aluminum) without needing a custom part.
I wouldn’t do this on a regular ride, as putting the stem on/off is going to fray the outside of the cables likely. There’s no slack in the lines, so you also won’t be able to take the handlebars/stem off or adjust them without taking the line cable off the caliper. The hydraulic line is also likely pinched - you’d need to route these with the line full of fluid and bled and the end capped off so you don’t kink the hose. In short, this is a lot of work you’d only do on a couple of bikes to look nice for a single day. If you look elsewhere, the rest non-photo bikes just have the cables running to the outside.

@finncox23 Note that’s just an SLK stem in a limited run size. You can find that extra long stem on pro cycling outlets https://procyclingoutlet.com/product/sl-k-140mm-6o-stem-8b2-13/ Most stems are open back there Review: FSA's Stout SL-K Stem - Bikerumor It looks like the stock stem routes the cables pretty aggressively too https://cervelo.cdn.prismic.io/cervelo/b960ac89-1e4e-4adb-8047-84381a28a4da_caledonia_manual_2020.pdf
What I’m seeing is that theres a D-shaped steerer, plug, and spacers. I don’t see a filler anywhere to round out that D (for up/down yanking forces). I think the mechanic used round spacers over the stem to maybe help with some of that.

Take your point on the stem and tightness to route the cables. If you were to stick with the proprietary cervelo stem is it more realistic / possible to just change out the handlebar assuming of course it has a hole at the rear of the bar per previous discussion?

Reason for asking is the cal5 I have on order I also have a separate cervelo HB on order (2cm shorter for fit reasons) and I’m wondering if I’m actually able to spec a different bar altogether instead of sticking with the cervelo proprietary one. Thanks

I think a bar with a hole in the rear of the clamp area would be a far easier solution than trying a standard stem. The only caveat is you need enough slack in the hoses to allow some trimming and refitting if it’s already a fully built up bike.

1 Like

If you already have some bars you prefer, and which are lighter than the Cervelo bar, I have a bit of a “hack” solution that I put together yesterday for “semi-internal” routing of cables. I’ll shoot some photos when I get home and post them. This solution will completely avoid the necessity for any sort of proprietary bar/stem combo, and will allow the swapping of stems for fit purposes without cutting brake hoses.

Spoiler alert, think about the Cal 5 if it had a system similar to the SL7 or Trek Emonda in their current iterations. Pretty sure Cervelo would frown on this solution, but it took maybe 15 minutes of time, a Dremel tool, and a standard 10mm carbon, round headset spacer.

Send pics. I’m a bit concerned about your approach. Some of these spacers don’t take kindly to adjustments! It sound like you just fitted the cervelo ones over the the stem specific ones, which is a non issue.

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-spacer-kit-023
The Cervelo ones look to be a structural plastic, and maybe relying on the whole aero spacer for support. Speaking of which, why don’t these solutions just use an aero cover over traditional round spacers. Seems like that would be easier all around.

I will send pics when I am able. I haven’t altered any Cervelo proprietary parts or spacers reflected in the link you posted. I still use the full Cervelo headsest and 7mm top cap. I altered/dremeled a regular round 1 1/8" spacer a bit to allow the cables to exit the front cable “groove” of the Cervelo top cap without being “pinched” by the round spacer directly on top of the top cap. My hack will result in you using all normal, round spacers above the Cervelo top cap. If you didn’t dremel the first round spacer that sits directly above the top cap, and attempted to use an unaltered round spacer over the top cap, it will “pinch” the hoses, as there is not quite enough room for the hoses to exit between the top cap groove and the spacer.

Maybe not the best pics. But, here is what I’ve come up with as a potential hack for semi-internal cable routing. Definitely took more off the spacer than needed for this test run, both height-wise and width-wise. I’ll probably get another 10mm spacer and take less off of it so there would be less “daylight” around the cables. Twisted the stem off center in a few photos so you could get a better view of how the cables come out of the headset top cap.

IMG_0100
IMG_0099
IMG_0098

IMG_0095
IMG_0096

IMG_0092

1 Like

Thats a CF spacer? I’m not sure about that, you’ve just ‘cut the string’ on the support keeping that spacer from spreading. You’d be better off hollowing out the standard dust cap running the round spacers to the top bearing and wearing the top cap as a skirt. I’d use alloy spacers too, as they are a touch narrower and will blend with the zipp stem nicely.

EDIT: I just looked, you need the spacer port here…

Great job. Can I ask you how you ended up with your Caledonia 5 cockpit?
I must say I really hasitate what to put on it once it comes to me (hopefully next week). Stock stem and bars are heavy. FSA conversion spacer is sold out everywhere.
Your solution seems great because you can use any bars you like but it´s only for those who doesn´t require many spacers under the stem (Caledonia is not so high as it seems, Cervelo counts their 7mm spacer in stack numbers unlike others who quote stack without headset cover).
I would like to use stock stem with ACR/DCR bars but none of them are in the 70mm reach range. So I have a mess in my head:)
I would also like to put there zero offset seatpost but they are sold out everywhere. I have found Hylix on ebay but they say max torque limit is 4.5Nm on seatpost clamp, but Cervelos seatpost clamp is 8Nm - it is a mystery to me why they even produce such a seatpost - proprietary but weird specs…