Cervélo Caledonia

I’ve been eyeing the new Cervélo Caledonia/5 as my first (and only) road bike and am wondering if anybody else is considering getting one.

Pros and cons (obviously as I see it):

Pros

• I like the appeal of an n=1 bike
  • In line with the above, like the fact that you can add fenders to it
  • The purple carbon color is drool worthy (obviously personal preference)
  • Cool accessory mounts

Cons

• Has a press fit BB. How big of a deal is this really?
  • Design is looking a bit uninspired? But again, that purple carbon color…
2 Likes

Membership card…hand it over.

9 Likes

Hah! I hear you. For what it’s worth, this would actually be my 3rd bike in an NYC-sized apartment (tri bike, folding bike, and now a road bike…)

1 Like

If the geometry works for you (and it wouldn’t for me…too high), I think it is a great bike. Obviously I have never ridden it, but from what I have read, it is a well designed “jack of all trades” road bike, capable of some light gravel duty if you wish.

As for the BB, it is kinda a crapshoot, IMO. I had really bad luck with two 1st gen Venge frames (the second was the warranty replacement for the first because of the bb shell). As soon as the second started creaking, I unloaded it.

Lots of people never have a problem with their PF BB’s…but the incidence of problems is what I would classify as “higher than normal”. If problems arise, they can sometimes be alleviated by using a thread-in style replacement BB.

For me personally, if I was deciding between 2 bikes and one had a Thad-in BB and ther had PF, it would tip the scales for me. Th said, I have since bought a bike with PF and no issues so far (knocks wood).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about the press fit bottom bracket. If it creaks, just replace it with a threaded bottom bracket. My road frame is PF30, but I use a wheels mfg threaded together bottom bracket and it’s never given me a hint of trouble.

4 Likes

I never thought of getting one until reading this thread, My impulsive instincts are now aroused.

2 Likes

I think they look fantastic.

2 Likes

Its a cool bike, but the aspero does all the same stuff and MORE

3 Likes

Except the integrated headset.
I’m loving the look of the Caledonia 5. Looking forward to a few ride reviews of it.

2 Likes

I agree beautiful bike. But all these bikes got me thinking… BMC Roadmachine been doing this since 2016, it really took every one 4 years to catch up SMH.

So if I could please direct your attention to the real OG.

2 Likes

100% agree with what you have said.
Comes down to marketing teams capturing loyal followers. :raising_hand_man:

If the aero numbers come out remotely close to my old S3, I’m sold!

1 Like

The aspero does not have fittings for mudguards.

1 Like

Haul ass not cargo!

1 Like

Slowtwitch wrote an article on it - Cervelo Caledonia: Road Bike of the Future - Slowtwitch.com

3 Likes

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I ended up pulling the trigger on the same model mentioned in the Slowtwitch article SDooley posted, which is what turned me onto the bike in the first place (purple carbon, SRAM Force groups). It’s going to take about a month to get to me, but that’ll leave me some time to shop for some accessories!

Very stoked. Love the look of the bike and the do-it-all appeal of it.

3 Likes

Hello tepextate,

I’m really considering the Caledonia 5 (Ultegra Di), how do you like yours?

I haven’t seen a lot of full reviews yet which is strange.

Thanks!

1 Like

I ended up cancelling my order due to the same concerns. However, have read a few reports of people here and there loving there Caledonias. Kind of regret cancelling it!

1 Like

I just picked up my Caledonia 5 last week and absolutely love it! I have about 300 miles on it now and have had no issues, asside from the seat post slipping due to a lack of carbon paste. The bike is so fast and stable and the tire clearance is amazing.

1 Like

Which model did you buy? Can you tell me if your size comes with 0 or 25mm seat post offset?

1 Like

$75 investment in a Wheels Manufacturing press-fit BB adapter might be the best money spent moving forward. It essentially converts your press fit BB to a threaded BB.

I currently own two BB86 bikes, one makes noise under extreme load, the other is silent. Had no problems with another bike that was BB30. It just depends.

2 Likes