Carbon wheel ok on trainer?

I’ve just got my first carbon bike, and it came with carbon wheels. I’ve got a Kurt kinetic road machine I’ve been using for a few years, and I have the heavy duty skewer it comes with.

Can I safely use the carbon wheels on the trainer? My old wheel set is 9 speed, and not compatible with the new bike.

Anything else I should know about using a carbon bike on the trainer? Should I watch how much I tighten down the trainer on the skewer, or does the skewer take all of the load? TIA

I can’t see why not; I think the main problem with rim braked carbon wheels is overheating on long descents or brakes getting wet. Youve none of that on a trainer (I’m no expert on carbon wheels though) .

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t see why they wouldn’t be fine, considering what they go through in the road. Thanks for the input

2 Likes

Don’t think you should have any worries. The Lynskey Cooper that I bought from its original owner came with a set of carbon Bontrager XXX lites. Prob 10-12 years old themselves like the bike. Who knows how many miles he put in. I’ve put in at least 12K miles on them using a Feedback Sports Omnium trainer exclusively. I’ve worn out 2 GP4000 tires without any harm to the wheel in that time. The GP5000 tire on there now is still ticking. :grin::grin:

2 Likes

I used my FFWD Tyro’s (Disc Brake) on the trainer all last winter and had no issues.

1 Like

Carbon wheels are fine on the trainer. I have heard about the sealant boiling though if it’s run tubeless. That can make a bonny mess when the tyre explodes!!!

1 Like