Carb Cycling, Sweetspot Training, Masters VO2Max and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 255

How to use carb cycling for endurance athletes, a deeper look into sweetspot training, how genetics and age affects performance and more in Episode 255 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Episode Notes:

3 Likes

10 Likes

if you aren’t doing 3-5min you’re wasting your time, evidently!

You know there’s another one coming… :wink:

On a serious note, very interesting first topic. Actually, entire podcast has some great varied content.

Last one, I promise. :innocent:

4 Likes

Brasted

Tunnabora

Basin

Wright Peak

Flume +2

This is a model I’m continually working on with respect to the different components of endurance performance.

Above the red line are things that are ‘less controllable’ or trainable, but influence the outcome. Below the red line in blue boxes are the physiological determinants. Everything below has an impact on everything above. None of the lines go to Fractional Utilization as I think all of them influence this determinant to some degree.

As you can see VO2max is one of the components. Very important to gain you access into a classification of athletes (hence 60+ is endurance athletes and 75+ in elite endurance athletes). However, once you’re in that classification, it’s likely the others that contribute more to performance outcomes.

To answer Amber’s question about Cavendish’s VO2max - he has the requisite level to participate within this group, likely has a high fractional utilization of the VO2max that he has and then his W’ or AWC is likely through the roof, so that at the end of the stage/race, he’s able to still draw upon his maximal force production capabilities for the sprint.

Cheers

G

6 Likes

An official social distancing workout CHALLENGE! for @Nate_Pearson: Isolation – 100x 15/15’s (120%/88%)

:muscle:

1 Like

Man, I’m SO disappointed that I missed Nate on Beers with Chad!

Good point @Nate_Pearson on checking the minimum amount of grams of fats needed instead of percentage of macros. I can’t seem to find an absolute number though as most of the information is expressed in terms of percentages. Found some info on 0.4g/lb. Maybe that’s a better number to roughly estimate the min amount needed?

And @chad, thank you so much for all of the information. You’re absolutely right, I asked because I sometimes wonder whether always shooting for the minimum amount of fats might be harmful on the long term and I could counter this by upping fat intake slightly during recovery periods.

Interesting comments on “trainability”. I’ll have to pick up David Epstein’s book. I wonder if Chad has run across any studies that look at trainability as a function of age.

I took the advice given on this podcast about having a fake event. I’m not a racer, but I made a dummy CX race in June my A race, and had Plan Builder plot out a short-power build plan to add variety. I usually only do gran fondos and had a triathlon planned in September, but I don’t think any gran fondo is going to be held before July.

I’ve been WFH for a month, and some days I feel like I can’t do any intensity due to life stress under lockdown, but I usually go out for a run or a walk when I can, and I have been able to keep the mental side of things together so far…

You guys talk about getting a nutritionist or a dietitian in the podcast. Chad recommends everyone that can afford it should meet with one. Does anyone have any great recommendations in the US for a nutritionist or dietitian?

Agree with Jonathan about doing recovery rides on the trainer instead of outside. That’s my plan in the future anyway.

I find that I work too hard to actually recover properly, especially since the terrain in my area is quite hilly.

3 Likes

Hi team, @chad mentioned a study on which he based the design of the workout Brasted. It it possible to get the reference to this study? Yours Bonne

This is the latest from Rønnestad, et al:

I think the earlier study is from 2014 or 2015.

Loved the chart and discussion. Thanks for posting.

@bbarrera, thank you so much for posting! Yours

Bonne