Cape Epic 2022 Discussion

got the makings of a interesting week, for the men and the woman.

G

1 Like

Have a look on Youtube, under the Cape Epic channel, there is normally every night a 30min catchup.
SA time its comes out over DSTV at 21:30.
G

1 Like

Not being nasty to @Nate_Pearson , but think we all knew Sofia was in a different league, nothing wrong with that. We all saw what she did last year, she ended doing better times in a couple of stages compared to the front runners, that did of course include probably some bunch riding with strong guys, but you still don’t do that if you not capable yourself.
G

1 Like

Even on the “live” coverage you could see they were really stomping on it. That’s why I worry for Lars. Hopefully he has had plenty of cereal this morning.

I didn’t get to listen to any of the women’s post race interviews. What was the vibe (and final time loss) for BMC?

Also, I think it’s unnecessary to tag Nate (moreso the original post) I don’t want to be presumptuous am sure he’s got tough skin, but it seems to make it personal.

Just to be clear, NOTHING Personal intended. As strong as we all are, think we are etc. The tip of the spear, the top of the pile, these riders, are just at a totally different level.
Imagine those speeds they climbing at, thats being done on 36T Chainrings.
Some of the descent speeds yesterday was high 70km’s.

Luckily Nino and Lars have ridden together before so Lars knows… :wink:

G

1 Like

Do you reckon Jannick is doubling or trebling the sealant today?

I’d be tempted to go up to some super protection tyres

I’d imagine they cut a inner open ad glue/line it on the inside. those fast descents over that terrain is a pinch flat waiting to happen, that inner cut open and line inside helps 100x.
long ride together, 123km. going to work the guys that was “battling” yesterday.
G

watching atm,
Monster winds, was originally hoping it’s the media helicopter, but not.
G

I’m going to save the coverage for tomorrow’s trainer session so I’ll check out shortly, but do you think the wind is going to negatively impact the racing?

The wind impacts everyone equally. it will def apply more force, but it’s equal for all.
G

1 Like

Wow, the Aspen is just junk for the Cape Epic. I can’t believe how many flats. The tire just may just be the cause of the loss at the end.

2 Likes

Sofia is amazing, and Haley had a pretty rad first year elite racing last season. Super stoked for these two!

Also it’s great that Specialized is supporting a local (S. African) charity this year.

Also, Pinkbike comment sections are a bit of a troll fest. To be avoided.

2 Likes

Came here to say similar.

Freaking Aspen’s! :rofl: Gutted as it was really shaping up nicely. Hopefully they still have plenty in the tank. Lars must have hit the deck at some stage too.

Curious what the difference between Sofia and Haley’s bikes are. Obviously Sofia is running Fox suspension, but it very much looks like she has less rake on her front wheel.

I’m no huge S fan, but the red S-Works with the SiD is a better and more capable looking bike in my opinion.

Great strong ride from the duo. Very surprised by the bounce from BMC. Might just be De Groot was forced to ride too hard in the prologue. Though today wasn’t as climby as yesterday so who knows.

Barry stander originally arranged that sponsorship for Songs.Info and it’s been like that ever since.
G

1 Like

this was exactly it, her partner, is her first Epic… De Groot has done many, she knows this race can be lost on the first day, but also valid, you don’t want to end the first day with a to large deficit. think it’s just riders not riding together before, and the strong explosive XCO going to hard, but as you can see, Diesel engine DeGroot is bouncing back.
G

and thats the Epic, all changes day to day, with surface and weather, listened to a summary of a interview with Nino way back, and the comment was, he looks at the total distance or the Epic, he looks at the total Ascent, all interesting, but then he gets here… and he comes and explores over what surface the race is going… That tells him how the race is going to go.

G

as much as I want Amy and Ariane to win, Haley and Sofia is my other team… would be great for them as a first time together, Haley’s first ever Epic to walk away on the top podium.

G

3 Likes

Anyone seen a breakdown of “bikes of the race” type deal? I’ve seen that sort of thing for ultra bikepacking races where they tally up what percentage are on what wheel size, brands, models, fork etc. I’m just curious what the setups are for the top say 100 teams. I’d guess lower teams are more running what they had at home, but the top teams that had a choice, so they bring Epic Evo over their regular Epic, and different rims? Or is Pauline FP on her exact World Cup XC rig?

Thanks.

I know one of our local magazines normally do a article after the race covering this… think they get the information from the Epic company itself as it’s part of the information shared during entry.

G

2 Likes