Canyon Price Hikes

Have you considered the Covid factor? My LBS had a month wait list from the day it reopened. I was pissed, but the circumstances are what they are.

This will overtake ā€œthe check is in the mailā€ pretty soon.

2 Likes

I get marketing emails from them almost daily. A friend bought a new bike and it shipped the next day from them. Yes I have considered it but at some point you have to take care of your existing customers and not just focus on bringing in new ones.

Edited to add- How pissed would you have been if your LBS was open and selling bikes left and right but you bought your bike from them last month and for you they are closed, unresponsive, have a month long wait list (a month and counting) and are not able to provide you with even a simple response on a warranty claim even if you are willing to pay for the fix and they told you it ā€œis what it isā€ to boot?

Can one not call Canyon on the phone?

I appreciate the candid comments on your experience with Canyon. I think itā€™s generally tough for people to shell out a lot of money on a product and openly admit they are not happy with it for one reason or another. Iā€™ve been down the same road with different brands and shops, so I know the feeling and frustration. High end bikes are not cheap and itā€™s pretty common that you have to throw down the cash before getting a good opportunity to try the bike or the customer service. I hope you are able to resolve your situation soon and get back on the bike.

2 Likes

Donā€™t want to totally hijack a thread on bike price increases with customer support experiences but Iā€™ve had nothing but first class support from Canyon. Part availability can be a problem and I was lucky that an alternative part was available whilst I waited for original replacement. Hope it gets sorted soon - have you tried that chat? That has been good in my experience when you want a quick response.

The chat is perpetually offline. Maybe you can track this down for me and I will pay you a fee? It isnā€™t unexpected that there will be folks that will claim to have an amazing experience with Canyon. I canā€™t even get to the point with them of dealing with ā€œthe partā€ as they have been completely non-responsive.

Iā€™m serious, I will pay you to get this resolved for me since you clearly have experience and success in dealing with them.

Of course you can.

we received an exceed cf6 about a month. have to say we had a very good experience. we had a query and used the live chat which worked really well. I guess its pot luck whether you have a problem or not.

I notice that whilst the price of the exceed cf6 has only gone up by Ā£50, they have also reduced the component spec. our 2020 model came with shimano XT, the new one is specā€™d with SLX.

I feel your pain but itā€™s a totally different department and itā€™s a mass email not an individual one. Itā€™s not like the support guys are ignoring your email because theyā€™re busy crafting the latest marketing mailshot!

Iā€™ve been a Canyon owner for 4 years and had a lot of teething issues initially. Wonā€™t go into the detail here but was on the verge of cancelling the order and starting over. They did come good eventually and Iā€™m happy I stuck it out as still love the bike (Aeroad ultegra Di2).

Have had a few support things since then like needing to order replacement parts that arenā€™t listed on their website (which seems daft, if they sell them why not just list them and save the effort of support staff getting involved?) and theyā€™ve been pretty good.

Obviously, Iā€™m saying if you spend the time and money to sell bikes during Covid then you should also spend money and time to service them as well. I understand there isnā€™t one guy fixing bikes then wiping the grease off of his hands to send a marketing email. Their sales end seems to functioning fully in the crisis so when asked if I have considered Covid I said I had but it doesnā€™t make you feel any better when sales are fully functional but there isnā€™t any support.

1 Like

@Stringwise are you in the US? Iā€™ve heard stories of difficulties in getting parts in the US, because the US branch of Canyon is a different company from the Europe HQ. But yes, thatā€™s no excuse really, specially in high end bikes.

Yes I am in the US.

One option to consider if I am giving advice to Canyon would be to try something like thisā€¦

ā€œHi stringwise, we received your request and we will be taking care of it for you but there are difficulties in getting parts in the US, because the US branch of Canyon is a different company from the Europe HQ. We are on it and donā€™t worry since you dropped $7,000 on a new bike with us less than a year ago we will be here for you but appreciate your patience.ā€

All of the excuses being provided are great but there is no excuse for being silent.

3 Likes

Sounds like they are overwhelmed and probably donā€™t have good news for you. Human nature says when youā€™ve got too many tasks in front of you, people tend to avoid/delay responding to the difficult tasks (which might require delivery of bad news) and jump on the ones they can knock off quickly and resolve. Itā€™s easy to step back and see how screwed up that approach is, but I see it over and over in business. Bad news does not age well, so you just dig a deeper and deeper hole. Itā€™s so much less painful in the long run to communicate and manage bad news quickly. Anyone running a support organization should be preaching and practicing this, so Iā€™d say Canyon needs some help in this area. Good luck, hopefully you can make contact.

1 Like

Thank you and I donā€™t disagree with your advice, I think you are spot on.

Most likely attributed to the tariffs Our Supreme Leader has levied on goods from Germany and many EU countries. Itā€™s a 25% schedule. Just dealt with this unexpected duty importing something from NL. Under Obama EU tariffs were minimal (2-3%).

So make sure you get out to vote! Remember, one presidential candidate likes to ride bikes the other wouldnā€™t be caught dead on one. Two Weeks After Fox News Showed Joe Biden Cycling, Donald Trump Counters ā€˜Iā€™ll Never Ride A Bicycleā€™

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I will vote for higher taxes free houses job losses (again remember ā€˜new normalā€™) and even worse medical care because of a picture of an old man on a beach cruiser. Good thinking.

You vote for whoever youā€™d like. But at your age, be careful heading to the polls. Wouldnā€™t want you to catch a hoax.

1 Like

The price rises are silly.

Last years unsold remaining bikes have gone up by 2-Ā£300 overnight. Same bike, same year, price increased.

This years Aeroad SL 7 was released at Ā£3400. Iā€™ve checked today (as I was looking at buying one) and itā€™s now Ā£3500.

Thatā€™s just taking the pee.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this has much to do with the country you are in, or who is in power.

Just a greedy bike company.

Letā€™s not make everything political :wink:

2 Likes