Can't bike long enough

This is really sad, but I can’t make it through a workout longer than 1 hour. It’s not the intensity, my butt just hurts too much. It’s due to me falling off the rails and becoming overweight and out of shape. I used to do 100 mile rides.

But trainer road insists on scheduling 1:30 rides. Is there any way to get it to not do that at least for now? I don’t want it to scale down intensity, the power is fine. I just want to put a cap on the length until things get better.

No way to put a cap on length as of right now. You can use the alternates option to switch to a 60 minute ride though.

5 Likes

or you could use Trainnow to replace your daily workout till you are ready to move to the 1:30 variety

1 Like

I have a hard time on the indoor trainer despite adding motion. The fixed trainer position can be a real pain if you know what I mean.

You could try getting off the trainer during recovery intervals. Even 30 seconds every 15 minutes might do the trick.

Another thing to do is add motion to make indoor riding more like outside.

4 Likes

TrainNow can work, but for someone following an actual TR training plan, the Alternates function is superior. The Alternates will stay on target with planned progression, where TrainNow is only looking at your recent history with no plan to progress and grow.

Both are great tools, but need to be used in the right circumstances.

4 Likes

Yup, outside of the app use options, adding even mild motion can help with correcting saddle discomfort. Beyond that, I have a topic here that covers motion and several other considerations that may help people extend their ability to do longer workouts on the trainer.

3 Likes

My 2 cents?

For now, 1-hour is plenty on the trainer. Use the “alternates” function and just stay the course.

Don’t obsess with ‘longer’, because unlike other aspects of life, longer is not always better.

1 Like

Just in case you’ve never used Alternates feature that others have mentioned, it’s actually very simple and intuitive. You just click into the assigned ride and then choose an alternate length and/or intensity, and it will recommend lots of workouts for you

2 Likes

Plenty of good work there. And covering the “official” base, here is the TR support article

2 Likes

Wow so much useful information, thank you everyone it is greatly appreciated!

3 Likes