With the list of motivations to eat vegan growing, we asked Dr. Monteyne if endurance athletes can get faster by consuming a vegan diet. Can you get enough protein on a vegan diet? What are the bests sources of protein for vegan athletes? Are we missing essential amino acids on a vegan diet? What do we need to keep in mind if we decide to go vegan while training as an endurance athlete? Dr. Monteyne tells us everything we need to know about vegan diets for endurance athletes.
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE:
(0:18) What are the challenges for athletes following a vegan diet?
(1:23) What’re the differences between animal and non animal protein sources?
(12:14) What did Dr. Alistair Monteyne find in his study
(13:38) How do his results affect endurance athletes
(36:06) Are there risks to missing out on certain nutrients from animal protein?
(38:51) Optimal daily protein intake for endurance athletes
(43:53) Vegan snack recommendations
RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Dr. Alistair Monteyn’s Study: Vegan and Omnivorous High Protein Diets Support Comparable Daily Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis Rates and Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy in Young Adults
• Continue the discussion on the TrainerRoad Forum:
• Submit a study, researcher or topic to be covered on the Science of Getting Faster Podcast: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
ABOUT TRAINERROAD — CYCLING’S MOST EFFECTIVE TRAINING SYSTEM
TrainerRoad makes cyclists faster. Athletes get structured indoor workouts, science-backed training plans, and easy-to-use performance analysis tools to reach their goals
• Introducing Adaptive Training: Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad
• Build Your Custom Plan: Cycling Planning, Training, & Analytics - TrainerRoad
• Train Together with Group Workouts: Group Workouts - TrainerRoad
• Get Started: Getting Started with TrainerRoad is Easy - TrainerRoad
SCIENCE OF GETTING FASTER PODCAST
The Science of getting Faster Podcast cuts through the noise and talks directly to the scientists doing the latest research into how to become a faster cyclist, stronger athlete, and healthier person.
Join Sarah Laverty of TrainerRoad as she interviews a new researcher every month about their latest studies, what questions they were hoping to answer, what they observed and what they are still hoping to learn.
• Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast on iTunes: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
• Facebook: TrainerRoad
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trainerroad/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/TrainerRoad
• Strava Club: Reno, Nevada Club | TrainerRoad on Strava
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast below!
iTunes: Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts
TrainerRoad Podcast Network
Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast