Campagnolo and Kickr

So I’ve got a Kickr Core, which Wahoo don’t make a freehub for. I had a brand new Shimano cassette so stuck that on, with a slightly worn campagnolo chain that was previously pared with a campag cassette.

It was ok for a week or so but now getting very chattery with some vibrations coming through too. Any tips on optimising performance? At the moment I’m planning to stick a new KMC chain on and index the gears to see if I can get the chain and one cog to line up well (for erg). Hoping it makes a difference!

1 Like

New chain and it will be fine for middle of the block and a gear or two either way.

I sometimes put my 11 speed shimano bike on a tacx flux that has a 10speed campy cassette on it, and I can always find a workable gear or two.

1 Like

I do find it ridiculous that Wahoo only supply a Shimano hub by default and a Campy has to be purchased at an additional (expensive) cost

According to Leonard Zinn, James Huang, and other reference go to mechanic guys, all 11spd groups - Campy, Shimano and SRAM - use the same cassette spacing, etc, so they are effectively interchangeable. So - if you have a Shimano/SRAM 11spd hub and Campy drivetrain, you can just run a Shimano/SRAM 11spd cassette without any problem.

As @Jonnyboy mentioned, you can almost always find a working gear or two, which is all you need on a smart trainer. I regularly run my 11spd SRAM MTB, my wifes 10spd Shimano MTB, and even a 7spd Shimano Deore from the early 90s (though this one only once to see if it’d work) on a Campy 10spd cassette that lives on my Tacx Flux. If you just need one gear, you shouldn’t have a problem finding one.

2 Likes

And it only works on pre-2017 models!

Seems realistic to me. Many wheel makers do the same exact thing by making you buy the Campy body afterward, while a few others offer a direct purchase of the Campy version initially.

Not sure on the actual market share, but Campy is a pretty small slice of the pie, so a smaller consideration as a rest.

1 Like

I mean, I wouldn’t knock Wahoo on it at all.

If all 11spd drivetrains work with the same cassettes, why not just buy the cheapest SRAM/Shimano 11spd cassette you can find to attach to your trainer?

1 Like

Like others have said… If it’s 11spd you can mix brands no problem. I have never used a Campy cassette on my Campy 11spd bike.

So get a new chain. That’s the source of the problem if the cassette is new. If you need to index the gears with a new chain on there then they were out to begin with.

1 Like

11 is 11

I have a KICKR2017 and use a ShimNO cassette with my Campy 11 Speed with no problems!

1 Like

Thanks folks. Hopefully it’s just a bit of chain grumble then, I’ll see how it goes with a new one on.

Just to add to the sample base, I also have Campy on a Shimano cassette. On my trainer mule, I even have Campy 10SPD on the Shimano cassette, but I only ever ride in ERG.

1 Like

Anything but a new chain on new cassette = chattery… The other way round, with new chain on old cassette is less of a problem, but new cassette should almost always = new chain OR put up with the chatter until it wears.

I run a shimano cassette on my 10s campy equipped bike all the time. Not difficult to get it dialed it. You should be good to go with the new chain and a bit of adjustment to the rear mech.

Probably worth noting the following:

KMC chain etc, Shimano / SRAM cassette used with a Campag system will void warranty (just as it would working the other way around).

What Zinn et al forget is that there are actually spacing differences between Campag and Shimano / SRAM 11s cassettes - or maybe they just don’t know. 11-ups are slightly different 1st three sprocket spacing to 12-up, different again to 13-up where this is not the case with Shimano or SRAM so by definition, Shimano and SRAM will not shift as intended on a Campag system.

KMC chains are a hybrid width, flexibility and plate profile to try and be all things to Shimano, SRAM, Campag and now random 1x thick-thin chainring makers, so expect degraded front shift performance and noise.

All of this stuff depends entirely on your definition of “work” but in our workshops and out on the road (we look after several prestigious sportifs and Gran Fondos) I see plenty of systems that the riders regard as satisfactory, until they are set up properly, at which point the riders usually comment that their bike has never been so quiet / smooth / slick shifting etc …

On a smart trainer I know shifting considerations are perhaps not so important but swapping chains around may also affect you on the road and it’s irritating to see innaccurate info with (in this case) regard to chain & cassette compatibility published for all to see, when the impact on wider rider experience and on the brand reputaions of the manufacturers can be detrimental.

2 Likes

Has anyone used the KICKR with Campagnolo 12 speed groupsets? Is it possible to have one or two working gears with Shimano 11 speed cassette delivered with the trainer?

Wahoo has the freehub for Campagnolo 12 too, but getting an extra cassette just for the trainer increases the cost of this option.

1 Like

11 is 11. I have a shittymano cassette on my KICKR using Campagnolo Record 11 with zero issues.

11 is 11

Did you read what I was actually asking?

12 is not 11. :wink:

If you can put a campag cassette on I would expect 12 to work, might need to tweak the limit screws. But if you have a 2017 Kickr you are screwed. As I found out today the one version of the Wahoo Kickr that does not have a Campag cassette option. Unless there is an OEM one.

I have Campagnolo 12 on my KICKR, I ran it as an 11 for a long time with a Shimano cassette, and then switched to 12 when I reset the old Colnago as a trainer bike. (i know how silly that sounds…).

I mean if you only plan to use ERG mode, it doesnt matter if you run a Campy or Shimano cassette, but it wont shift cleany if you plan to use the derailleur obviously.