Cadence sensor v estimated cadence on smart trainer

I am on a smart trainer that will estimate my cadence. I do have a cadence sensor that I can fit on my shoe that should give more accurate readings. Will it cock up my trainer and confuse it having the sensor on, I am presuming it will override the estimated calculations.

This might be a question for Tacx but I thought I would ask here in case anyone knows the answer.

Thanks.

Gi-Gi

Proper cadence sensor will be more accurate. Just go into settings, search for cadence sensors and pair the one of your shoe.

1 Like

I use the cadence estimate from my Direto. I’ve found it to be perfectly fine for trainer rides.

1 Like

Ok, just wondered. Since I got the new trainer I took the sensor off my shoe as I thought it was best. Happy to leave it that way. As long as it is the same thing I am comparing my rides to it should not matter a great deal. I have done a few rides on a new programme so I will defo keep it with the same until then end of that as it will skew the results if not.

Thanks for your help.

Gi-Gi

the past couple of rides I’ve used my wahoo speed sensor for TR and allowed zwift to read the cadence from the Hammer, I’ll have to try and run a comparison and post here. The reason why I used the cadense sensor was that the other day I was having trouble keeping my cadence up, partly it was that my legs were more fatigued than usual but I also feel that when the cadence reads lower I feel the resistance firing a lot more on my trainer. This might be entirely psychological and more a byproduct of how I was feeling vs an actual attribute of the trainer. I’m rambling, but in short I do think trainer estimated cadences tend to me a little lower than a dedicated cadence sensor, by how much exactly I’m not sure, but I’llcheck!

edit: just checked, yesterday my Hammer sensor had me at 88rpm average cadence while the wahoo was 89, so it’s close overall, I’m sure looking more closely using something like DC Rainmaker’s analysis tool would reveal some areas of difference, but overall it’s quite close

1 Like

Cool, thanks for info.