Botched Ramp test I think

Not sure how you can take such offense to 5 simple words? They weren’t meant in any negative way, as you seem to have taken them.

They are just meant to indicate that the total equation you are showing is unnecessary because of how TR made the test and calculation:

1. The basic TrainerRoad calculation is based on the simple 1-min power x 0.75 to get FTP.
  2. This works and effectively includes any and all parts of a power step, assuming that the person is still pushing power that raises the 1-minute power data point.
  3. Because they did it that way, that does not ignore any extra watts in any part of a ramp, no matter how long or short.
  4. It has been this way from the very start of the ramp test beta process. The only thing that has changed is the actual multiplier value. It started at 0.78 and got reduced to 0.75 as they reviewed tests and following workouts.

These examples show the basic calculation and results, without any extra data gathered or used in the equation.

1. This is the reason I said the other math is not needed. It is a simple equation where all you need to do is use the PR chart, grab one value (best 1-m pwr), and run the calculation.
  2. The other parts of your equation may yield the same answer, but with more work.
  3. My whole point was that TR made it super simple and all you need to do is find one number from the test. There is no need to do the additional work to prorate steps for the step differentials, no matter what point you end the test.
  4. Importantly, there is absolutely no SWAG involved.
  5. I have used the TR values for great success, even for over-unders.
  6. This is exactly how TR calculates the FTP, it’s not my personal take on it in any way.
3 Likes