Big Ass Fans — anyone use one?

Have you thought about pointing a fan away from you behind you to suck the air off you? That might be a smoother airflow experience. You’d probably need a box fan for that.

No, because I don’t do a lot of riding on the trainer in the garage. But I did play around with fans three years ago when I was experimenting with doing mostly trainer rides.

Great responses, really appreciate the detail. Cost aside, I’m more interested in the merits of “barrel fan vs. blower fan”. It seems like a hybrid of the 2 is the solution.

My current setup uses 4 fans:

• Lasko blower (on the floor, to the right)
  • Wahoo Headwind (on the floor, to the left)
  • 24” traditional blower fan, mounted 7 feet up
  • 10” vornado on my back

I do notice lots of wind noise. I need to turn on Noise Cancelation on my earphones to watch TV. This is a big motivating factor in the original question

1 Like

I think for this to work you’d need to be in a corridor of sorts. Or have a massively powerful fan.

1 Like

Yup, low pressure pull only works in a more confined area. Positive pressure push is best for our purposes in most cases.

This is what you need. Accept nothing less. It’s the official fan for Disaster (workout).

Holy crap, you’d need a successful onlyfans account to afford a big ass fan ahahh
I have an air mover and it works wonderfully. Went from sweating profusely to barely sweating at all so it’s doing its job

Just wanted to emphasize this.

You need enough airflow for a reasonable amount of convection but once the airflow is high enough that all of your sweat is evaporating than more is not going to help significantly (and if it’s powerful enough to blow droplets off you before they evaporate, it’d be counterproductive).

The cooling you get from the evaporation of sweat off your skin is an order of magnitude(s) more than the cooling from just heating the air as it passes by.