Best tubeless *hookless* tyres / tires

I am currently using the Michelin Power Road TLR on Enve 4.5ARs. These are my favorite thus far. They aren’t the fastest, but provide a good balance of speed, grip and puncture protection. In my experience, I’d hold the Power Roads slightly higher than the Schwalbe Pro Ones they replaced.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Schwalbe Pro One TT tires are hookless compatible? I can see that the Pro One is, but haven’t been able to find any info more specifically about the TT version.

As I understand it, only the Schwalbe Pro One TLE (with orange “1” on the side) is compatible. I just mounted those on my wheels, will try it this weekend.

Thanks! Yeah I reached out to ENVE today and they have updated their compatibility list for the SES wheels, and now say that all TL and TLR tires are compatible, but recommend against going tubeless with cotton/ natural fiber-walled tires.

Late to this, but in terms of ‘fast’ tyres, I think the Pirelli P-Zero and Michelin Power Road are pretty hard to beat; both are quick, grippy and reasonably robust. I’ve also had good success with Hutchinson Fusions (great vfm, though they wear quickly).

For a good 4 season tyre if you don’t mind giving up a few watts, the Bontrager R3 Hardcase Lite aren’t slow and are robust and hard-wearing. IRC RBCC X-guards are the only true winter tyre that are actually almost run to ride, though I’ve heard good things about the Cinturato Velo.

I’m not a fan of Pro Ones (below average puncture protection and wet grip) or Spesh Turbos (very fragile).

I’m yet to use the new GP5000.

I got the Maxxis High Road tubeless tires for my hookless rims when my bike shop was out of stock of everything else, and I was surprised how much I like them - definitely prefer them to the Pro Ones I had before,

Anyone use the Vittoria Corsa Control on hookless wheels? I’m looking for a “winter” tire with wet & gritty surface grip for my Zipp 303S. The Enve compatibility page lists the Corsa Control TLR in 30mm but the Zipp page doesn’t.

Other options could be GravelKings, WTB Exposure, Terrevail Rampart.

FWIW in the summer I plan to run GP5000 S TR in 28mm.

I’ve seen quite a few people using Vittoria with Zipp hookless, so it seems fine IRL. Obviously the bigger the margin to the maximum 72.5 psi the better!

Rene Herse getting sued over the hookless issue…

Lot of gaps in the suit…no mention of which rims he was running, etc. Dunno how much traction this will get, TBH. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I have been running Cadex Race 25mm tubless on hookless rims. No punctures after 4500km. Cannot decide whether to buy a new set or use the GP5000 TR…has anyone seen some comparisons of these tyres? I have a Cadex 42mm wheelset.

1 Like

I had been running Specialized Turbo RapidAir 2Bliss in 28 on a set of Enve Foundation 65’s since late 2020. At the time they were easy to mount. I ran Stan’s sealant and topped off through the valve core. I had no flats the whole time I used them, mainly for long training rides on flat roads. Not a ton of road hazards. I did alternate a different wheelset (Enve 3.4 ARs) when I road in the hills.

It was finally time to switch them out as the rears were getting pretty worn looking and had some decent divots in the tread which seemed like potential spots to get a flat soon. I went to take them off the tires and for the life of me I could not break the bead. Tried everything I could think of including standing on the tires deflated but I could not get the bead to break. Finally I cut them down the middle but then had to use a scalpel to actually cut through the bead. There is a fibrous band that once I cut through released the tire.

It’s rare for me to go this long without switching to a different tire, but these really worked well and road beautifully, so I never bothered trying to take them off. They mounted easy at the time, but incredible how stuck they were. I used the original GP5000 TL’s on some Bontrager wheels at the time, and they were way easier to get off.

I am going to put on a set of GP 5000 S TR’s in 28 next, since I finally tracked down a set. We will see how these go.

Hi Easilydistracte,

I also have Giant SLR 42 & 65 mm disc wheels and I am considering to change my original tires (Cadex Race 25mm) either to Schwalbe Pro One TLE or Conti GP 5000 STR. Can you report back on your experience, how was the tire fitting, how is the rolling resistance, durability and comfortness of the tires and whether you would prefer the 25 or 28 mm? I have googled a lot but unfortunately do not find information on this kind of setup…

Also, it surprises me that the maximum pressure for the Conti GP 5000 STR is 5 bars, because the official Giant website (Tire Pressure | Giant Bicycles Official site) suggests pressures between 5.4 - 5.7 bars for my weight… Is there something I am misunderstanding? Would that mean that the Conti GP 5000 STR is not suitable for me?

Thanks in advance!

The max on all hookless rims is 5 bar, because that’s what the ETRTO standard that wheel and tyre manufacturers are adhering to states. I think if you’re a 80kg rider or heavier then with hookless you should really be running 28mm tyres. Optimal pressure drops significantly with the added volume of a 28, and gets you down below 5. Most hookless wheels are optimised around a 28mm tyre anyway, so it’s likely faster or at least as fast, and certainly better for grip, handling and comfort.

1 Like

Thanks cartsman for the insight. I am actually 74 kg, though after having a closer look at the specs it seems that I could not fit the 25 mm Conti GPR 5000 STR on my 65 mm deep wheel anyway (because the inner rim width is 22,4 mm and this is already wider than the maximum of 21mm for the 25mm tires).

1 Like

I have a set of 4.5 ARs, I had the exact same problem with the Specialized tubeless tires until I started wearing thick yard gloves to take the tires on and off. I know sounds silly, but it helps a ton with “getting a grip” on the tire. I have GP5000 S TR 28’s on my 4.5 ARs now, and they are amazing

3 Likes

years late…but Vittoria has taken the warning off the Terreno dry and now claim that it can be safely used with hookless rims.

1 Like

Awesome!

Has there been a revision, or have they reversed it for the past gen as well?

Same tire, they just got around to testing it

1 Like