So I’ve fully rebuilt my 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon disc following an RTA.
New bearings and circlips for the bottom bracket, new crank axle shaft, new compact spider ring, new spacer kit and although I’ve reused the original crank arms (one is a stages LH PM) I have used new retaining nuts that thread into the axle held in with 40nm torque.
Everything was fully cleaned and checked before assembly.
I paid extra for the Hambini higher quality Japanese bearings. Quadruple checked they were the right ones for my bike. Also completely cleaned out the metal sleeve that the whole assembly sits in, using acetone to remove any final residue so it was spotless.
Clear signs of wear on the old axle shaft and bearings and some wear visible (marks) on the aluminium sleeve.
It’s only done about 10k miles in total so I am a bit surprised at the wear but I guess I’m a heavy rider (circa 100kg) so it might be expected. I’ve also read a lot of negative reviews on-line about BB30 but am not sure what / how much to believe.
After reassembly, the following riding has resulted in the dreaded creaking and ticking noises, despite proper application of quality grease in the correct places.
I left it a while to ‘settle’ and then re-torqued just in case but no improvement.
I’ve done all the advised checks to make sure the noise isn’t coming from somewhere else or that the assembly was perhaps done incorrectly.
Did a tonne of on line searching and found a commonly proposed ‘fix’ of using red loctite. Followed this route using a couple of different YouTube videos as a guide and in doing so completely re-cleaned everything beforehand and left more than the required time for the loctite to set.
It’s still creaking and ticking!!!
I suspect the previous wear on the surface of the aluminium sleeve means there is too much room for movement for the new bearings and so the slight ‘out of tolerance’ is causing the creaking.
Removal of the sleeve is impossible as it’s bonded onto the carbon frame.
My options (some of which I’ve discounted) are as follows:
- new frame (discounted as too expensive)
- try the loctite fix again with yet another set of new bearings
- go back to the ‘grease’ solution - apply more; it won’t solve the problem but will reduce the noise caused by the movement
- do nothing, let it be and just accept the noise (discounted as I don’t like giving up)
- replace the BB30 pressfit with some sort of ‘supposedly better’ threaded BB shell that would fit inside the existing aluminium sleeve (discounted on two points 1. Mainly, I can’t find anything on-line that appears to do this job 2. The cost is potentially prohibitive because I’d need another new compatible axle shaft / spider ring / crank arms and PM, unless I can recoup some of the cost by selling the other parts)
I’m tending towards the grease option but wanted to ask the forum in case there was another ‘solution’ I hadn’t considered.
If there is a threaded BB solution that allows me to still use the existing axle and spider ring then great - but I can’t find one at present despite a decent amount of time spent searching (unless I’m looking for the wrong thing)?
Also - assuming I leave it to just creak and tick, how long before one of the bearings collapses and I have a nasty accident as a result?