Base run but Tempo RPE?

Hello,

I am doing a Tri Plan for weeks now, but I stumble over the RPE references in the description field.
it says “Run 90min Easy-Moderate, RPE6 and again try to keep your running as continuous as possible.”
Easy Moderate, but RPE 6? That does not match? RPE 6 would be a tempo run, not base?

How is that to handle? Or is it “max. RPE 6” for short periods?

Cheers,
mt

Hi there!

You can find a rundown of their RPE scale for run/swim workouts here. For what it’s worth, though, I do feel you’re better off prescribing effort based on the workout descriptions rather than the listed RPE, because of both some inconsistencies in how it’s used throughout the plan and also the tendency for individuals to scale RPE quite differently.

2 Likes

Hey Tori,

thank you for this.
Yes, you are right. I can see that the TR chart is off from the common RPE charts out there.

Cheers,
mt

1 Like

You might also find this thread useful

It took me a while but now I’m used to trusting my feelings when it comes to RPE.

2 Likes

Let ask you one more question, instead of opening a new ticket.

This is the description:
“Just like last week, run 60min Easy-Moderate, RPE6 and randomly insert 8x30s bursts of high speed, RPE9 over the course of your run with at least a minute of recovery between each fluid, high-speed effort.”

So…
does it tell me to do a stead run and then insert a set of intervals 8*30s + min. 60s recovery?
OR
does it tell me to do a steady run and insert a 30s interval from time to time with min 60s after the high intensity peak?
Like run for 10 min, then 30s RPE9, then 5 min steady run, 30s RPE and so on?

So total run is 60mins. Whenever appropriate on your route do a 30s rpe9 sprint with a 1min recovery then back to the rpe6 run. Make sense?

1 Like

make sense! just wanted to make sure that i dont destroy the effort by doing it wrong.
thank you joe!

1 Like