Average Daily Caloric Intake?

I generally eat the same every day although from the posts I’m seeing that isn’t enough calories even on a rest day.

5"8
150 lbs

Rest day: 1600
Mid: 2000
High: 2200

Goal: Weight loss, 1 lb a week.

I am 5’7" or 171 cm.
I went from 73 kg to 67 kg in the last 4 months with my target being 65.5 kg. I am conservatively trying to lose body-fat(and it’s working) by about quarter to half pound a week so my rest/strength training days are between 2000 and 2200 and my bike/run days are between 2200 and 2700. If it’s a really long outdoor ride, intake might be as high as 3500.

Your figures show that I am not overweight but under-tall.

5 Likes

I’m 29 years old, 6"3 and 180lbs

Currently experimenting with a small 200cal defecit on rest and workout days during build phase low volume.

Rest days - 2100cal
Training days - 2900cal
Training and commuting days - 3700cal

This is me also. I can’t lose weight unless I eat to about 2000 cals per day but that doesn’t support carbs for training and racing.

6’ 1/2"
155 lbs

about 3200 calories a day – I eat 2000-2500 calories of decent food at school between 6:30 (when I get here) and 3:30 (when I leave). I also probably eat 200 calories of chocolate, cookies, cake, or other treat that our very considerate parents and boosters always seem to have in the faculty workrooms. I have no willpower to resist them.

I eat another handful of chocolate chips as a pre-workout snack. So there’s 100.

Workouts are usually 4:15-6:15. 1500-2000 kjoules is my work target for anything other than a recovery ride.

Dinner is usually about 600-700 calories, eaten about an hour before I go to bed, which is less than ideal. I usually grab another handful of chocolate chips while I’m cooking dinner. So there’s another 100. And, there is usually a stray piece of bread or cheese or a couple of spoonfuls of something my wife left in the fridge. So maybe another 100 there.

Workouts are usually 4:15-6:15. 1500-2000 kjoules is my work target for anything other than a recovery ride.

I might do a bit better if I didn’t eat ~400 calories of chocolate each day. But, I’m 4.9 w/kg now, and chocolate is good, so maybe I can rationalize this as a win-win.

I have not had luck with curbing the urge to eat “because it’s there” by having breakfast before I go to school – instead, I would just end up eating another 500 calories a day and slowly gain weight. I seem to have an inner Labrador. I like to eat just to eat because when you eat, eating tastes good. A problem for a cyclist.

2 Likes

Are most of you spreading your calories evenly across the day or taking a bulk of them around your rides.

I’m spreading evenly however if I have a particularly tough workout planned I tend to “bulk up” eat more carbs before that workout. During the weekdays I tend to do all my riding fasted if it’s ~60mins or less. Might add a electrolyte drink to it but mostly I do it straight from bed in the morning.

I’ve tried this approach during the SSBMVI and I’ve started eating much more than I did before. Especially in the carb-department and I’ve lost about 2lbs/week now starting about 1st of September. I have an additional week to go before SSBMVI goes into recovery. But I aim to be at 500kcals deficit every day and I’ve calculated an average of 700kcals/day in workouts. Garmin Connect and my Fenix-watch says that I’m at an average of 1100kcals/day “active” calories but I go by kJ only and I don’t factor in what I might burn during the rest of the day.

51 years old, 170cm / 5’7", body fat 18-20%.
I’m around 1,800-2,000 a day in caloric intake. During this current training block after taking some time off earlier in the year, my weight has gone from 92kg to 86kg over 2-3 months, I’m aiming for a deficit of around 300 calories a day. I bike and run, average about 6-7 hours a week, TSS in the 450-550 range. I love to eat, and I love beer (brew my own), but my wife is an excellent cook and does a great job of making healthy, home-made meals. The only thing I change when I’m looking to lose weight is I don’t have beer during the week, just one with dinner on the weekends.

So I’ve gone from 190lbs to 224lbs in 6 months, tried all sorts to get it back down but no joy. I’m 48 and 193cm, commute 3 times a week 20 miles each way and do a few turbo or full body exercise sessions aswell. Normally morning ride is fasted.

Thinking breakfast post ride, lunch, fuel for commute then dinner and no food after 8pm. Currently 2700 calories a day maintenance and commute shows 1000+ calories each way TSS of 90-120.
I’ve gained muscle but I’ve gained fat and currently I’m struggling to drop a pound and it’s really getting me down.

2700 calories on days when you’re ‘burning 2000 calories’ on the commute can’t be right, you may find you’re actually taking in more calories than you think. Strongly recommend MyFitnessPal or something similar to really really track everything you eat - not just meals, but any and all gels/bars and other ‘fuel for commute’ etc.

1 Like

I’m in the 2000-2500 calorie range, that’s depending on the calories burned during cycling. I was experimenting on not adding extra calories to any of the days when I burned the extra calories during training and quickly started loosing weight/fat. Perhaps just a bit to fast so I started to add more food.

Here is the thing with me, I try and eat clean which entails lots of vegetables, fish, poultry, rice, couscous. I find it hard to eat enough calories eating this way. I am very satisfied with the meals, but calorie wise the intake is very low when I eat like this and I find it difficult to add more food as I don’t want to eat so much I feel full.

I have found that some of my salads are super high in calories just from adding the dressing, avocado, and some feta cheese, upwards of 500+ calories. If I eat mahi mahi, veggies, couscous the calories are usually very low for this meal about 250 calories, it’s a very satisfying meal, but as you can see the calories nowhere near enough. I would rather eat the fish dinner than the salad.

What meals are you eating that supply enough calories to hit that 2500 calories or more without eating junk food/dirty? I could easily pack in the calories eating junk food. What I’m trying to figure out is how to consume healthy foods without feeling so full trying to reach a certain caloric intake? Basically what is everyone eating?

How are you calculating the 1000 cals each way on the commute?

Are you eating every 3 hours or so? Meaning a snack between breakfast and lunch and then another between lunch and dinner?

My 2500 is made up of broccoli, chicken breast, black beans, ground beef, smoothie for breakfast, rice, corn, bananas, etc. about 600 for each main meal and 200-350 for the two snacks plus rid food if it is a longer ride.

Strava from my wahoo, but I dont take it as exact just a guide to see how my days vary.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear. My maintenance is suggested at 2700 a day and I’ll run on a 500 deficit so 2200, then the commutes adds another 2000+ so roughly 4000 a day which I generally don’t hit (always under ) so wondering if I should go lower and risk feeling dead from lack of energy.

Ideas Ben:

Breakfast
Small Fruit Smoothie - 200 cals
Oats (50g) & Coconut Milk - 200 cals
Greek Yogurt 0% Fat (250g) - 140 cals

Lunch
Chicken Salad Sandwhich - 400 cals
Dates Medjool x3 - 200 Cals

Dinner
Chicken & Rice 350-400
Dates Medjool x3 - 200 Cals

Training (On bike food - 150 cal)

Post Training - Lot of options

Greek Yogurt 0% Fat (250g) - 140 cals
Blueberries (250g) - 150 cals
Bran Flakes/Banana etc - 150 cals

Should give you around 2200 for a medium training day (for me anyway).

1 Like

Yesterday

Today

The maintenance calories seems pretty high. You got 3 inches on me but I estimate my daily resting calories at around 2100 then I add calories from there to fuel the workouts. If you are gaining weight clearly something isn’t working. The maintenance is too high, you’re underestimating your caloric intake, or overestimating the energy expenditure during your commutes.