Athletic Greens

Is anyone using Athletic Greens (AG1)? I followed a recommendation somewhat blindly and now having second thoughts about keeping with it six weeks in.

way overpriced, in my opinion. I’ve used Super Greens (purchased on Amazon) in my smoothies from time to time. seems a reasonable way to get some extra veg and fiber in the diet

4 Likes

Existing topic that got minimal comments:

1 Like

$80/month for vitamins.

4 Likes

I use primal greens occasionally. Better tasting and cheaper. Lots of other factors for weight loss but I’m consistently getting leaner while using it. Kinda throwing proverbial spaghetti at the wall with my weight loss plan and it could be a factor! But I also wouldn’t be able to identify if it works or not :grin:

1 Like

Seems like a giant waste of money. Just eat real food.

9 Likes

I take it 2x per day. I like it.

This type of supplement is not really something you take to “feel”, but anecdotally feedback is that I absolutely notice a difference in digestion and I really do generally feel better while taking it.

I get the the “just eat food” crowd, but sometimes it’s nice to have the luxury of using products and services to round out the edges of an imperfect life, and to that end when I am traveling for work and getting imperfect sleep or not able to eat as well as I would normally like I do think that that Athletic Greens is one of the things that helps keep me from getting sick, or feeling too run down.

If the cost seems high relative to the potential value or the results you feel it gives (or doesn’t give) you, then stop taking it. Only you can make that assessment.

5 Likes

I’ve been taking it for the past month. Don’t feel anything. But my doctor recommended a multivitamin, so why not.

One drawback may be: each serving is 50 calories

1 Like

Pretty sure the empirical cycling pod covered this and said that anyone buying AG is a schmuck.

I’m one of the suckers using AG1, I view it as a bit of insurance to make sure I get essential micronutrients. Yes, I too get the “just make sure you eat healthy”-voices, but that’s not always given, and again, even if I mostly do, it’s nice to have that insurance.

Purely anecdotally, I noticed improved digestion and I haven’t been sick since using it (about 8 months now, smallish kids in the house, colds and stuff are a regular occurance).

I totally get if one thinks it’s too expensive (it is), and you absolutely can get all the ingredients if you are a very diligent about picking your ingredients. I plan to use it for a year and then go a few months without it and see if something changes.
Cheers!

1 Like

This is sort of the issue - anecdotal evidence. 1. If there was good strong evidence, we would see studies out there. The company would be providing it. 2. This stuff isn’t going to hurt your performance/well being, so if you see any slight improvement, your natural confirmation bias in justifying this expensive product will kick in. But who knows what that improvement in attributable to, or if it is even real, or just perceived?

4 Likes

Yeah, you are absolutely not wrong. In the end one should try for oneself and just not use it if it does not bring a benefit.
My main point is to not condemn supplicants on the basis of “you can just eat real food”. Yes, you can, but sometimes you don’t want to put in that effort. (or you can’t b/c you’re traveling, as mentioned)

Cheers!

Cant remember exactly which, but a dietician i follow recently said green power is nowhere near as beneficial that real vegetables

Thanks for the comments, everyone –

I think that (1) given the long tail of possible value, it is hard to measure benefit, and (2) I am sending a bit of an influencer halo which is a huge warning sign for me.

I decided to go off it for a little while and see how that feels.

As an easy good veggie addition to your diet is to add raw spinach to your post workout recovery smoothies. Lots of good nutrients and doesn’t affect the tastiness. Bonus is it turns your smoothie a nice green color!

4 Likes

To each their own and I certainly consume supplements but I question the credibility of any health/fitness podcaster who is a shill for this product.

1 Like

I don’t think this has anything to do with credibility or shilling. It’s just vitamins and some food based supplements.

The ingredients are listed:

It’s a kitchen sink of vitamins marketed as a magical elixer to improve recovery and all that. You can buy a 6 month supply of a multi-vitamin for $15. You can buy a couple pounds of protein powder for $20. One could probably put together a six month supply of the basic ingredients of this cocktail for $200 versus the $480 they charge for the convenience.

That is besides the point of whether vitamins, food extracts, and a tiny dose of probiotics really does anything for you besides empty your wallet.

1 Like

This is why I see those who are paid to hawk this product as less credible. Popular health/fitness podcasters (with apparent credentials) are being paid by this company to push this product to their subscribers even though it’s nothing more than an overpriced vitamin/supplement product with no real added value. When these podcasters go from objectivity to sales, I no longer can trust their opinions without additional skepticism. It starts to remind me of FTX and bitcoin.

1 Like

When I was playing around with skipping breakfast/“IF” that really bugged me.

If you’re getting an effect does it matter?

1 Like