Anyone log their riding position for indoor rides/intervals?

I’m a triathlete and have recently switched to doing all my work intervals in the aerobars. Occasionally, I just can’t hold that position for a given interval and I need to sit up to finish it. I usually make a note of this in the ride notes to have some idea what happened during the ride. But that got me thinking, am I even going to use this information in a useful way?

Just curious as to what others are doing. Do you get value out of knowing what position you held or didn’t hold, historically speaking?

I believe in the podcasts they have mentioned doing only the Specialty phase in aero position and even then doing only Threshold and below intervals in aero. It’s kind of a train how you race type thing.

My A Race is a TT and I have still have a Build and Spec plan to do. I’ve been dropping into aero for a bit here and there during the Base I just completed, more to get the position dialled in, but also to get the body used to it. During the Build I’ll start doing more and more intervals in aero – but still not complete workouts. Then in Spec do as much as I can in aero. Not too specific with record keeping, although I should be, I just kind of map it out the day of.

I’ve recently switched my focus to working in the drops. It’s where I spend most of my time whilst racing and I need to ensure that I can produce the power AND recover in that position.

I started recording my riding position in my workout notes, both online and in my training diary spreadsheet. So if I did a set of 5x10 SweetSpot intervals, I’ll enter something like “1, 3 and 5 in drops” (remaining ones are a given they’re on the hoods…my default position).

Not sure if I’ll ever analyze it, but after keeping a detailed training diary for years I’ve learned that it’s best to err on the side of recording something, even if you’re not sure you’ll use it. You can always choose to ignore it down the road, but if you don’t record it, you won’t get that choice! :wink:

1 Like

Ummm… I have a mountain bike :mountain_biking_man:t3:‍♂ on the trainer. My “riding position” differs from thumb over or under the bars, lol.

1 Like