Anyone gone from Coach to TR and found it better? Or worse?

That’s a similar story for me, I also left a coach for financial reasons and whilst my repeatable FTP has went down quite a bit, the time I can sustain my lower threshold has increased.

1 Like

Similar story to others. I jumped on TR from a coach following a paycut last year. What I’ve found is that the 2yrs experience with a coach has equipped me with the tools to self coach using TR workouts. Just about to complete Hi volume polorised base and it seem to be hitting PR’s on the big days so happy with progress.
Would I go back to a coach, yes. Is TR a suitable substitute, yes. Looking forward to my AT invite as I’m thinking that will fill the knowledge gap nicely.

2 Likes

Coach provides me a couple things that TR can’t/has a hard time with:

• Gives me permission to recover. Sometimes things don’t go to plan. It’s easy when coaching yourself to just keep digging. Saying this ride felt like ass and being told to take it easy for the next couple days is nice
  • Easy flexibility. I want to do a group ride or have a life obligation… drop a line, stuff gets shuffled, let it rip. You can do that with TR, but I never ‘knew’ that I was making good decisions.
  • Trusted advisor. ‘I did x, what should I have done?’ ‘What about doing y?’ ‘Why are we doing this stuff right now?’ ‘How can we fix this limiter?’ The forums give that some, but it’s just wisdom of crowds and not specific to you.
  • Long range planning. Year over year I want to do ‘some goal’. TR doesn’t help with that at all.

Is all that worth 10x+ what TR charges… :man_shrugging: I like my coach and have disposable income, but definitely not a value proposition.

3 Likes

I’ll be sad if I have to wait a year to get into AT!

I think it depends for a coach - I’m a relative ‘beginner’ to cycling, and in reality can probably rely upon beginner gains in TR for a few years at minimum just yet before plateauing and needing a 3rd opinion on the matter. Which I am happy to do.

Even still, there are a variety of plans on TR e.g. SSB vs polarized, which will get anyone through most of the year. People above who said they did ~3 weeks of SSBMV and ‘blew up’, it wasn’t the intensity, or time in the saddle, so what was it? As in, is that TRs ‘fault’?

1 Like