Anyone else using an old iPad to run TrainerRoad?

Just to say that I’m running TR on an old iPad and having a few issues with trying to get it to recognise the plan I’m on.

I’m just wondering how many others are using one, or whether I’m in a tiny minority?

My trainer is in a shed so I’m out of the reach of wifi which doesn’t seem to be a problem. I don’t have a PM, just use virtual power which again doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’ve thought many times about getting a smart trainer or some PM, but for 3 workouts a week, TrainerRoad is absolutely superb at working out my rides with virtual power, so it’s not a must. TR is the only thing I use the iPad for so I’ve deleted nearly everything else off it to give it as much ‘room’ as possible.
Just that my iPad doesn’t seem to like me trying to get a plan. I can look up what workout to do beforehand and it loads that up fine. I’ve contacted TR a few times and they have been very good, I suppose I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one?

So just wondering if I’m one of the few using an old iPad (with recent updates and TestFlight). If I had old versions of TR or outdated versions of IOS then I could have an idea of what was wrong. But I think everything is as up to date as possible.

How old? I use an old wifi only 16g ipad, the first model with Lightning charging port. Model A1458 - no problems.

1 Like

As long as you have an iPad Gen 3 or newer, and iOS 8 or newer, your iPad should work as well as any other device. If you are still having issues despite meeting these qualifications, I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com.

If your iPad does not meet those qualifications though, it is possible that you are “stuck” on an older version of TrainerRoad which does not have Calendar Compatibility :pensive:.

1 Like

I run TR on a four year old iPad Mini, but keep the OS updated. No issues.

1 Like

I have the same problem Pipipi. I am using iPad 3rd Gen with up to date software and the TR app does not show the training plan I selected from the web. I notice that if I try and select the plan I want on the iPad it has different workouts to what it shows on my computer or iPhone Xs.

1 Like

that’s not old! Mine doesn’t have Lightning…

1 Like

Thanks Bryce. My iPad is Gen2 I think. It runs the app fine, just doesn’t like trying to connect to the calendar.

I have contacted support a few times and they have tried their best. My work around just means I have to look up the next workout on my phone, no great drama.

I still wonder how many people are using an ‘old’ iPad like me :wink:

1 Like

I’m on an older iPad also, up to date software. App loads previously completed workouts in the calendar but not future ones. I don’t really understand what the difference is, if it can do one cant it do the others?

1 Like

i’m running an IPad Mini, must be 6-7yrs old now. I think I have the same issue you are mentioning and it came up in a different post a few weeks back. for me it isnt a big deal though

I will open the app and calendar and it while it is functional, it isn’t necessarily up to date (i.e if i have moved a workout etc it isn’t immediately there) I have to wait a few minutes (3-4mins typically) and it will then update. Other than that I have had now issues.

never raised it with support as an issue as i just open the app, then get ready, water/shoes etc, and by that stage it is all good.

you mentioned your out of reach of wifi, is it not updating due to not being online? you might need to open up the app in wifi range or hotspot it before hand? @Bryce?

1 Like

All workouts are saved locally on your device, so as long as you know what workout you need to do and/or your Calendar has successfully synced with your iPad, you can fire it up and ride without access to wifi :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar problem on an older but not ancient iPad. Deleted the app, reinstalled it and logged in. All my past rides came in but not future rides. Logged out and logged back in and waited an hour or so and now I’m 100% past and future rides

1 Like