Anyone considering GCN Race pass?

I think both Eurosport and GCN are ultimately owned by Discovery

2 Likes

Here in the UK we get the grand tours on normal TV so no need to pay.

However, I was thinking of having a look, depending on the quality of the commentary

We only get highlights not the full race which i assume is what this pass provides.

1 Like

Do we? Where!?

Yep for most.

But TDF normally has a chunk of live through the day. And then highlights on the evening. and the others are just highlights.
Even get some coverage of the city centre crit series that I try and catch and smaller tours like Yorkshire.

my thoughts are if a purchased the pass - would I have time to watch it :confused:

1 Like

This year we are a bit limited but on ITV4

• Tour de France 2018 Recycled - Geraint’s Tour: 27 June-5 July
  • Criterium du Dauphine highlights: 12-16 August
  • Le Tour de France live & highlights: 29 August - 20 September
  • La Vuelta a Espana highlights: 20 October - 8 November
  • Madrid Challenge by la Vuelta: 6-8 NOVEMBER

BBC

• UCI Road World Championships
  • Six Day London
3 Likes

The Giro has always been the tricky one for a UK audience - not sure we’ve ever had live or highlights on free to air TV?

1 Like

It did happen on ITV(4?) at least one year, I think the year Dumoulin won for sure.

1 Like

Anyone know why NBC SN Cycling Pass is not accepting new subscribers at the moment?

Hi Russel, Brian from GCN here, we’re always looking to develop support for more platforms, including a web player which we will hopefully launch soon. We’ve worked really closely with Eurosport on this so the commentators and experts will all be familiar faces if you’re used to Eurosport coverage, Dan will be involved in commentating on a lot of the races too, as he has been with Eurosport for a number of years. Hope that helps answer your question!

8 Likes

We’re hoping to air a great deal of cross races this season but we can’t reveal the schedule just yet. The app has got a much greater capability than youtube so we’re hoping that plenty of people will enjoy participating in coverage that is much more interactive than it has been in the past!

2 Likes

Marty still doing CX commentary I hope?

1 Like

Can confirm - we will have Marty!

5 Likes

Is there an Android-TV app or App for Windows?

The biggest deficit I can see so far is that it needs to be casted whilst eurosport can be watched in android-TVs and in any internet browser.

You can cast at the moment with airplay or chromecast, we are also working on support for more devices and a web player, casting doesn’t mean for a reduction in quality vs a browser as it merely broadcasts the stream key to another device. We’ll keep updating you with developments as we make them, but rest assured we’re working hard to bring the coverage to every device possible!

3 Likes

I’m thinking about signing up. It seems like a steal at the introductory price and isn’t that bad at the regular price, either. We’ve let our NBC Gold subscription lapse; I was never that impressed with their coverage anyway. In fact, it was quite bad at times. The only reason we signed up was so we could watch CycloCross Worlds. Our preferred cross content provider last season was GCN, so if their intention is to put their cross coverage behind the Race Pass feature, I’m OK with that. Their cross race coverage was top notch, IMO, so I’m willing to lay down a few bucks to help support them.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Flobikes doesn’t have the “broadcast” rights to the Tour de France in the US. So when you click on TdF, it tells you this. I’ve asked Flobikes in the past to have geo specific schedules for exactly this reason, and they said it was something they were working on.

So if you want to watch the TdF in the US, you are going to have to pay NBC Sports in some fashion.

Is there someplace to see what would be available to US subscribers? And since this will be dramatically less than European subscribers, will there be a different (lower) price for US subscribers?

AlphaDog - thanks for raising the TDF issue. Some of the races I thought Flobikes had are not available in USA. They have miniscule type next to them on the calendar saying “Not available in you area.” I couldn’t see that on my phone screen. I’m still not sure on the TDF. NBC Sports site is not listing TDF for 2020, only last year’s schedule. They have an email sign up to ‘get news on it as soon as released.’ And Flobikes schedule lists TDF without the ‘unavailable’ microfont exception. So on the TDF in USA I am confused.

I think the idea is a fantastic one and I’d honestly pay double the price or more for an annual subscription that included coverage of the major races/most of the calendar.

Unfortunately due to Sky TV NZ having the model and processes they do there’s a very slim line up.

I may sign up using the early bird discount to support the development of the program, but I don’t see much value unfortunately with the races currently available. I hope it’ll grow and be a one stop shop for road (and CX) coverage in the future.

I think the model is excellent, I currently subscribe to the NBA and happily pay for content I enjoy and appreciate. Rather than pay someone like Sky NZ a huge amount for a bunch of sports I have no interest in and only one showing (no on demand or replays) of the sports I do.

(Sorry for the rant, Go GCN, I’m rooting for you!)