Anybody have a Wahoo Kickr 2018 that DOES NOT have any issues?

Im happy with the 2nd one I got, hundreds and hundreds of hours with no issues. First one started pinging right out of the box. FWIW the warranty process was fast and painless (I also bought from REI so I could return or exchange out of warranty if needed).

1 Like

Hope it’s fixed. My 2nd one is on the way. Painless, quick warranty process.

1 Like

I am a consumer from Taiwan.2019/7/30 start using,Only one month,Start to appear noise.
The dealer said that the bearing needs maintenance.This makes me believe,
Manufacturers in order to reduce costs,Use a lot of inferior parts.If your usage is high,kickr 18 Frequent repairs,It is a nightmare for your training!kickr

4 Likes

Hey guys, I got my Wahoo Kickr that I ordered last week. I installed my bike, did a 10 min Warmup and calibrated my device and subscribed to Trainerroad.com. Sadly my device produces a lot of noise during the initial FTP test.

Please find a short audio file at this resource:

I don’t want to fix the device by myself. Neither do I have the technical interest or the time to do it.

Sounds like the typical Klickr failure. You need to contact Wahoo support and see what they offer for resolution. You may need to provide video and/or audio to show the issue.

2 Likes

I just received a reply from Wahoo. They asked me to provide a proof of purchase, a photo of the units serial number and my address. I hope to get a replacement of my unit as soon as possible. Is there a way to pause my Trainerroad subscription?
I was really looking forward to start with training and this situation is more than unpleasant.

Not really a “pause”. If you are on a monthly payment, you could cancel for a period of time.

• But, if you happen to be paying one of the older, grandfathered pricing fees (not the current level shown), you will be bumped up to the current pricing (see pic).
  • So keep that in mind.

Glad to hear the Kickr is still killin it sarcasm

Super glad I said stop sending me new units and send me a refund instead. Been happy with my TacX.

1 Like

Just a quick update to my issue with the Wahoo Kickr Core.

I requested a replacement unit and this was delivered yesterday. I already used it twice for 90 min in total without any issues.

2 Likes

I think there is some reason why so many reviewers don’t slam Wahoo Kickr more.

I know I wouldn’t buy a car if I was told there was a 3% chance I would get a lemon.

2 Likes

Received my Kickr and had noise issues after 2000 miles. Wahoo replaced unit and now having noise issues again. To compound matter tried to Zwift today and there is no output from my unit. Sounds like ESD problem. Do not have any static issues in area so not sure how it died. Good grief. Have a support ticket going but it is just over a year now. Little frustrated with system after investing $1200 in unit.

I’ve asked and they basically go with the company line along the lines of, “It doesn’t matter to me what you buy” which is a laughable response. It definitely matters to them.

1 Like
  • How and why?

Why would you take the time to review something if you didn’t care if anyone followed your reviews? I think that’s completely nonsensical. A product review is an honest assessment of a product meant to objectively inform a customer of the positives and negatives of a product. IF someone truly does not care why take the time to write the review? They do care and they do hope people will traffic their site and read their reviews. That’s the how and why.

I think a lot of us are pissed about buying Wahoo products only to have to deal with returns, sometimes multiple returns, hassle, inconvenience, missed workouts and all the other fun that comes along with getting Kickd.

What would be the downside of the reviewers stating how rampant this problem is? It’s the same reason Sell ratings are a rarity on Wall Street. No one wants to get sideways with the company they are offering a negative opinion of.

I don’t buy for one second that this Kickr issue is “industry standard” in terms of failure rates. I think it’s a POS and the reviewers should have the nuts to inform people that follow “unbiased” recommendations regardless of the manufacturer of the product and any negativity it may bring them. Otherwise, truly don’t care and don’t offer an opinion.

7 Likes

It is more about buying a product using their referral links. This way, a reviewer can sometimes get up to 10% from the product you just bought.

1 Like

I would put that in the camp of driving traffic but you said it better than I. :+1:t4:

My old man has just returned his 4th Kickr now, lets see how long number 5 lasts…

1 Like

I’ve had the Kickr Core one year now with no issues. It’s very silent in low speed, but in high speed it emits a high pitch whine. Anyone with same problem? I’m now contemplating a Tacx Neo 2T which seems to have another sets of problem.

1 Like

“Why would you take the time to review something if you didn’t care if anyone followed your reviews?”

I think specifically it’s that I don’t really care what you buy. I hope/think you find my review valuable, but ultimately it’s up to you as an individual to decide what features/functions/whatevers matter to you. But what model you purchase specifically doesn’t have any meaning/bearing on my life, me as a business, or whether or not companies send me products (or whether I review them). I don’t get paid or take money from any companies I review, so it’s pretty easy for me to crap all over things as I routinely do.

“What would be the downside of the reviewers stating how rampant this problem is? It’s the same reason Sell ratings are a rarity on Wall Street. No one wants to get sideways with the company they are offering a negative opinion of.”

You mean, like this? Wahoo CEO Details Fixes for Issues Surrounding KICKR 2018 & KICKR CORE | DC Rainmaker

But the problem is the term rampant. What’s rampant to you? Is 3-4% rampant? To me, it’s not. And that last fall at the peak of things. If I had a football field and said the weeds were running rampant, and then you asked how much of the field was covered in weeds and i said ‘3-4%’, you’d say ‘Oh, that’s it’? And then I’d say: Oh, but actually, that was last year, this year it seems so small the number of weeds I can find are few and far between.

“I don’t buy for one second that this Kickr issue is “industry standard” in terms of failure rates. I think it’s a POS and the reviewers should have the nuts to inform people that follow “unbiased” recommendations regardless of the manufacturer of the product and any negativity it may bring them. Otherwise, truly don’t care and don’t offer an opinion.”

Realistically, it sounds like you’re upset that you just got a lemon. And that’s fine - I get that, but it doesn’t change the math. I’m pretty sure I was clear the return rate was a problem, but I also don’t think it’s actually a meaningful problem today for new purchasers.

“As for Ray’s comment. I think he’s getting fed a line from Wahoo. He really doesn’t know, as he doesn’t get the data. It’s also unclear how Wahoo massages the data as to what is a “success” or a “failure.” To be honest, I think there are lots of shills out there, currying favor with Wahoo as they are quite large now and probably offering kickbacks and early reviews. Even posting bad reviews on product pages, won’t get posted. So, definitely, buyer beware.”

I actually do know the data, which is why even at its peak it’s %-wise a low singe-digit number. However, what every keeps glossing over no matter how many times I repeat it: Quantities matter. When you ship 6-digits worth of trainers each season, then even 3-4% is still 3,000-4,000 people. This very thread has merely 502 responses, of which my guess is unique users is a fraction of that (maybe 50-100 people). From a number perspective, I’d say that’s cute, that doesn’t even touch the surface of people impacted last season - and that means you still have thousands of people posting about issues. Inversely, that means that 95% plus of the people out there - enough to fill a few NFL stadiums worth, have no issues at all.

And again, Wahoo doesn’t pay me anything. When things suck, I say it on Wahoo or anyone else. Look at my recent Wahoo ROAM review for that. Or, even read what I wrote on the KICKR Bike post, read the actual details I wrote and don’t gloss over things. Or read my Twitter feed today.

But here, let’s play a fun game of pick your poison for this season, and see which unit you’d pick:

• CycleOps Hammer H3: Mostly good actually, cadence sucks, and it’s still the noisiest.

• Elite Suito: Power accuracy is currently a mess*, flywheel production issues.

• Kinetic R1: Power accuracy is a steaming pile of garbage.

• Tacx NEO 2T: Power accuracy in ERG mode isn’t good yet**, I wouldn’t use it.

• Wahoo KICKR 2018: Power accuracy/etc is good, some seemingly slim chance you’ll have an issue.

Oh, what’s that? You want a smart bike for TrainerRoad? No problem, here’s where things currently stand:

• Tacx NEO Bike: ERG mode accuracy is wobbly, just like the NEO2T it’s built atop.

• Wahoo KICKR Bike: Apparently nobody tested this with TrainerRoad, because you don’t get cadence displayed (it’s null). Also, you can’t turn-off ERG mode smoothing.

• Wattbike Atom: This works perfectly fine in ERG mode for me.

Finally, if you think I don’t post bad product reviews of anyone - even Wahoo - then frankly, you’re not actually reading my reviews. Read them.

• I just got a firmware update for Suito today that supposedly fixes it.
    ** I also just got a firmware update for NEO 2T today too that also fixes it.
8 Likes

Thanks @dcrainmaker , so I’ve been waiting to pull the plug on the NEO 2T but haven’t seen any further reviews or news on the erg issue. Are you happy that the latest firmware fixes the erg, power accuracy, cadence issues?Currently using the Kickr 17 which has been awesome but looking for a quieter trainer (with cadence)