Am I too old to get to 4w/kg

I was told my bike would grow wings and I’d suddenly be able to fly like a two-wheeled Pegasus. Was I misinformed? Does this not happen??

9 Likes

I’ve been counting on this. Disappointing. Maybe the winged pegasus is at 5W/kg and you’re more like a wounded yak at 4? Guess I’d better HTFU and push for that 350W FTP… I felt like I managed 21x1min at 335W yesterday pretty well, so hopefully by next week 350 for roughly an hour straight is doable.

3 Likes

42 yrs old
78 kg
6’1”
3.7 w/kg

Started TR July 2018 at 2.3 w/kg. I hope to see near/at 4.0 w/kg by my peak in Sept 2019.

3 Likes

4.0 w/kg is my stretch goal for this year in pure numbers terms. I’m like the OP in that it sounds like a big gain from where I am at currently. Retested this morning at 3.26 to start SSLV1 (with 1 ride outside plan and 1 run per week extra), currently 77.4kg which is about 3-4kg’s over my summer riding weight. I was around the 3.25 level for most of last year, so definitely hoping the structure of the base/build/specialty plus some less kg’s gets me there. Just recently crossed the 40yo barrier, so hoping I have youth on my side :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking about recently. Turning 49 this year and want to keep making gains (about 3.7 W/Kg now).

Curious what your long-term training calendar looks like then? Are you eschewing the typical base, build, specialty TR plans and creating your own alternating VO2 and Sweet Spot blocks? And how do you work that out with planning A events?

1 Like

I’m just shy of 43 and in the best endurance shape of my life, probably lost a little of the kick I had in my early 20s but who hasn’t :slight_smile:

190cm, 83kg, 320ftp. Just need to knock off 3kg of weight (which should come as the weather improves) and I’ll be at 4w/kg. But my main aim is to race better in my main discipline, bunch races on the track. So while I’ve laid down some good base work to raise FTP over winter that is not the be all and end all. A races are in early July then October so I’m shooting to get the specialty phases so I can improve those repeated 1-2minute VO2 efforts as well as hone the finishing kick.

I guess what I’m saying is that 4w/kg is doable, but if you are racing that may not be the only metric you need to improve to win races!

Sorry @batwood14. I see now you’d already answered some of that. I’d still love to hear more about your structuring your VO2 blocks though. Those are regular TR plans or you’re creating your own, more VO2-centric?

48 @4.57w/kg.

“Never say die!” – Ozzy

It definitely was. :persevere:

4 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t trade my youth either. Sex, drugs and rock and roll are pretty good too.

9 Likes

Oh hell yeah you can get there. No way is this 42 year old (okay, 42 in two weeks, but close enough) going to accept that 45 is too old for 4w/kg.

Solid spring/summer of training and you’re there. And don’t neglect the kg part of that equation. Lose a couple and the numbers look a whole lot easier. Please post progress.

1 Like

@kwcrash if you’ve been to 4 before you’ll get there again! Your age is not going to be the limiter imo.

Hell no you are not too old! 45 is not old! I have 2yrs on you, so older but we are far from old! For those of us who trained a ton and raced a lot in our younger aka prime years, we are unlikely to see those number again. That is reality in any sport.

If after MV SSB1 you picked up 10W, that is a huge bump. That means you still have big gains to be made. When you start getting no bumps in FTP or 1-2W bumps, that is when the work really starts.

Pick a plan. Do the work. Be consistent. Eat and sleep well. The gains will come!

Watts UP :arrow_up: Kilos DOWN :arrow_down:

2 Likes

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

:metal:

6 Likes

This is truth, by the way. Lot of folks around here take a step back after SSB – others take a small step forward. +10 FTP after SSB1 is pretty significant. SSB2 and then the Build programs are where you see the gains.

Here is what my associated gains looked like after I completed the following phases – mind you, I’ve only been at TR for 6 months, and my all time high FTP before TR was 267:

Short Power Build LV: +9 FTP
SSB1 LV: +5 FTP
SSB2 LV: +4 FTP
First half of General Build Low Volume: +10 FTP

You can see the gains after the Build plans are equal to what you saw after a Base plan. Plus, if you’ve been there before…your body will remember. If you keep at it, I bet you’re there by mid-summer.

**As a caveat, I choose low volume plans and then either supplement with outside rides on the weekend, or add in endurance rides here-and-there if I can’t make it out. So the low volume TSS doesn’t represent my actual TSS.

1 Like

@dbf I’d be happy to share any insights with you. I’m not an expert by any means, but I’m experimenting with what works for me, and am constantly tinkering.

Yes – I always choose a TR plan and calendar myself 6 months out, but I modify as I go.

Also – I listen to my mind. As corny as that sounds. Like I said earlier…if I’m dreading a Vo2 workout that day, I generally think to myself it’s time to HTFU. In instances where I’m dreading it because I flew in that day (I travel often) or because I drank too much the night before (I’m Irish, live in Chicago, the winters are long, so…) I do an endurance ride to get something in, and then push the Vo2 to the following day. I don’t skip it.

However, if I found myself dreading three workouts in a row – it’s time to pull the plug for a week or two and just find some workout that I am looking forward to. This happened to me after Short Power Build last fall – take a look at that sonofabitch of a plan :neutral_face:

First thing I do is I always choose a ‘low volume’ plan, because they presume you’re only doing 3 workouts per week so they don’t skimp on the intensity. That way, if I actually only get 3 workouts per week in, I’ve gotten my hard work in.

The other issue I have is sometimes I have to do 4 days on / 3 days off due to my work and business travel – in those cases, I can’t do 3 super intense workouts per week… so I will +1 or +2 my Vo2 work and really gut myself. Then I will take a day off, or do an endurance ride – but then make sure I pick a real nasty over/under workout for the third day, which is pretty good intensity.

Overall – I would say this to the mid-40s crew we have assembled here:

Put the intensity on your calendar. Fill in endurance or SS work. Not the other way around - don’t skimp on it. But listen to your mind, it’s telling you something about your body. Lift sometimes. Run sometimes. Or both. A 44 year old man with osteoporosis is not a healthy person.

Never try to find a short cut around intensity. Put your shoulder to the wheel. You can suffer more than you can when you were 28. When the shadow of your athletic mortality is chasing you, you can hurt more than someone in their 20s because there is the urgency of “if not now, when?” – that feeling is plutonium. Harness it.

But then rest. And absorb. And whiskey . . . it might not make you faster, but goddamit you’ve earned it. :metal:

25 Likes

Late 50s, finally figured this out. Unlikely to see 4W/kg but still having a blast out on the road.

4 Likes

Heck… It’s the 40-year old age group that generally blows my doors off. I’m 33 at 3.65w/kg right now. The “older guys” are a serious threat.

3 Likes

Take a look at the various age category results at the Crusher in the Tushar gravel race. The 40-44 and 45-49 age categories are the most competitive, as in some of the fastest times!

Many an older dude with W/KG well over 4.0!

1 Like

At the end of the day, this is all that matters. I couldn’t imagine putting myself through what TrainerRoad asks of us without that love of riding bikes :biking_man:

4 Likes

Amen