AI FTP Detection Update

For the record, AIFTPD looks at ALL cycling workouts imported into your TR Career. This includes all TR workouts & plans, but also all “outside” workouts, rides & races.

Just a quick question on FTP detection thresholds.

Just over 2 weeks ago I started a plan so did the detection and got 219w. Plan was cancelled as work and builders meant I struggled to get going for a week.

Started ssb1 today and after 45 minutes of Goddard I got a message to auto detect FTP as it had changed, gone up a massive 1w (<0.5%) with only a couple rides since last detection.

My question would be what’s the threshold to trigger the update? Only thing I can think of is that it flagged as it was a new plan but it was a pretty current auto FTP before today.

I would have thought AI FTP Detection would do some combination of all but #3.

Im finding the 28 day detection a small problem where each time I update I am slightly later than last time so while I might like to update on Mon at the end of a rest week it drifts to tue, wed,…mon next week and I cannot pull it back. A 27 day limit would alow a bit more flexibility.

Great point. I’ve noticed the same.

AI FTP Detection should actually be working like this..

The day you use it is technically “day 1,” and the time gate opens in 27 days + however many hours to midnight. This means that you should be able to run a new detection sometime on the 27th day. It just might be later in the day, depending on when you ran it last.

What about an option to run it at the end of every rest week, or the start of every block?

That could be a good idea, but blocks aren’t always four weeks long, which could cause issues. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Yeah, I was thinking you could have an option to allow for a check at the beginning or end of each block instead of every 28 days.

Are you expecting that to be longer than 28 days? Some blocks are shorter..

It seems odd to run AIFTP after a rest/recovery week. Blocks are typically 3 weeks of “work”, so it would appear that would be the best time to run the calculation.

Great work. In my experience, level 9.0 sweet spot is doable with a correctly set FTP, especially with longer workout. The threshold zone is calibrated differently. For example a level 7.5 threshold is more difficult than a 9.0 SS.

this doesn’t mean your FTP isn’t set a bit low, though. Looks like you had even more in the tank.

I’d like to believe in this. A 18% ftp bump in 21 days at 55 yo and a long aerobic training career isn’t bad at all.
But I am afraid this is way over my current level. I wonder if there’s some bug here and if anyone from the TR staff (@eddie ?) could review my calendar (you’ve got permission from me) to help improve the detection process

If that helps this is what Gemini said:
“ Why the TrainerRoad Algorithm Tripped

TrainerRoad’s AI FTP Detection relies heavily on recent high-intensity data and changes in volume. Because you just executed a phenomenal 2-hour outdoor ride at 260\text{W} average with a near-perfect 1.01 Variability Index, the algorithm looked at that relentless chain tension and completely misinterpreted your deep, former-pro aerobic endurance base as raw threshold power.

It calculated your ability to hold a steady state without coasting as if you were a standard amateur rider, completely failing to understand that your low heart rate (115\text{ bpm}) means you are simply incredibly efficient at LT1, not that your LT2 has exploded by 60\text{W}”

I think that TR is trying to get you out of those really high-level workouts because you’re starting to run out of room to grow.

If you increase your FTP, you’ll have more workout options.

Based on your recent performances, I’d say that your FTP is likely quite a bit higher than where it’s currently at.

You might have to either accept that 375 and give the next few workouts a shot, or if you’re really unsure of it, maybe split the difference and give that a go.

Let me know your thoughts..