Adding an extra 30 minutes

I’m am a big fan of adding 30 mins (Taku) onto the end of a lot of my harder rides, especially ones that end with only a 2-3 minute cool down. I prefer to add a different workout onto the end rather than lengthen the cool down just so that my data for original workout is easy to cross reference with same ride in the past and not distorted by various lengths/efforts of cool down. Don’t forget though, 90 mins constant pedalling on the turbo can be just as much work (if not more) than 2 hours outside. Don’t worry too much about making up the time, just make sure you get the quality. :+1:

5 Likes

Agreed. Ive been extending cool downs and adjusting intensity which does the job very well. However ive just started comparing my multiple efforts of certain workouts and the with/without extended z2 does make them harder to compare.

Its not a deal breaker because you can still dive in to the workout and get the data you need. But its a good argument for adding a seperate workout for your tacked on z2

Do you add the extra z2 workout to the calendar? I have never tried to see if the calendar supports 2 workouts, or if you do one it will remove the other.

The calender does support 2 workouts (or more) on the same day

I’ll with have to build a z2 workout then :slight_smile:

It does support - orders in descending TSS iirc.

Yes. I use plan builder and then once that is in the calendar I look through the days to see where it would be best to add the extra z2 workouts. Just click on the day in the calendar and select the workout you want to add and it drops it after the existing one. Once I have done it once, I just copy it and paste it wherever I want. You can always move and change them at anytime.

Just to add, although tempting I generally only add extra on the already hard days. I keep the easy days easy. (although I’m 50 so need recovery :wink:)

Would one get the same benefits on adding aerobic ride right after the workout or waiting a couple of hours after the workout?

Cool down work in the active recovery power zone. This is lower than zone 2 endurance. Active recovery is recovery, zone-2 is meant to stress the aerobic system a bit more.