Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

I’m glad you’ve posted this as I’ve just come into the beta, did my first indoor this morning with the how did you find it survey, then an outdoor workout this evening with AT results survey stating I’d basically failed. I suspect its as I paused during a rest interval in the main set to navigate some road furniture. Gutted that my anaerobic level hasn’t gone up with a breakthrough session that I found somewhat hard.

On the “failed” survey, select the options “I didn’t fail” or whatever the text is and you get the pass survey. I’ve had the fail survey a couple of times because of similar circumstances to yourself.

Good question. I can be clearer. I think I used the language “tech fails” meaning that AT/TR isn’t working as it is supposed to. When I have a workout at a difficulty level which exceeds my current PL for an energy system, and complete it successfully (meeting/exceeding interval targets) I should be getting a PL increase to whatever the difficulty level is for that workout. When I get a +0.0 increase the process is not working as is should be.

2 Likes

I got the “struggle” survey after outside workouts yesterday, chose “didn’t struggle” then “moderate” on how did it feel. Sweet spot PL still dropped 3.5 or something like that. Not a big drama but have emailed support about it as I don’t think that’s the intended behaviour. But maybe good news as it seems like outside workouts do have an effect on PL’s.

1 Like

Some hiccup with my use of the forum. Some times I’m seeing my response to Sam-O, sometimes is shows (post deleted by author). Apologies if this is a redundant post:

Unfortunately, inconsistently. Some do, some do not appear to be recognized within AT.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I had the same: I marked a “Stretch” VO2max workout as “hard” (they are always hard, or ;-)) and the system didn’t adapt my following workouts. My VO2max level though is way above the progression level being recognized by AT hence I expected adaptations. Changing the response to “moderate” than triggered the adaptations to the level where I am.

1 Like

Just while everyone is on the topic of outside workouts. I encountered a problem yesterday. I’ve contacted support about it but figured I’d ask here while I’m waiting for a response.

I completed Sloan+1 last night. It’s marked as a success, but I didn’t get a survey. I’ve got two versions appearing on the same day on the calendar now. One completed outside, and one that looks like I skipped it. I assume that they should automatically associate.

Is there a way I can sort this on my end? Would manually associating them work? Or, is there anything I can do in future to avoid the problem reoccurring?

I had this happen to me. It seems that if you try to switch a workout to outside in “Career” it doesn’t take. If you go back to the “Calendar” and mark it for outside and save it, the two workouts will merge into one. (I used the web interface.)

You can also use the web interface to update the survey response - in Career, click on the ride, then click on the three dots.

1 Like

I’m in.

5 Likes

Thanks @nju001, Support got back to me (they’re pretty quick). It looks like I’d a slightly different problem (or maybe the same problem and you managed to find a workaround :facepunch:).

The outside workout for Sloan +1 didn’t have an associated PL and training zone apparently. Support are after giving me credit there. I’ve gone back in and completed the survey now.

I’m a few weeks into beta and use a Wahoo Roam. I’m doing 1-2 outdoor rides per week. So my decision was to do LV plan. Do all three workouts indoors to make sure I get all the data in AT, and any outdoor rides are just extras.

Seems to me that if you are going to do mostly outdoor rides it’s best not to be in beta or just recognize it’s going to have minimal benefit right now.

Looks like I am in now.

Can someone link me (or tell me, your preference) suggestions on adjusting the training plan around it? I am not training for anything specific right now (everything is B/C events until next year). I was using a LV plan as I am a high volume rider (mostly commuting, lots of big outdoor weekend rides, plus running) and the LV workouts were just to give me some intensity I don’t normally do on my rides. Should I continue this, or switch the HVP to match my real world riding? I assume stay with what I was doing. I do the workouts on a trainer.

I normally just skip workouts when I am not physically up to them, which can be a lot given that I do a lot of 3-6 hour weekend rides, and I also have been doing track running workouts once a week too. Should I tell the app I am taking time off for things like this three day weekend, where I will be running and riding the whole weekend?

I know it is a beta, I am not looking for huge gains or anything out of the system. More just experimenting.

Unfortunately, 1500 responses is a lot to go through.

Earlier in the AT beta, the recommendation is that you should not associate a scheduled workout with an outside ride. Is this still the case? Tomorrow I have a moderate SS session that I plan to replace with a long group ride. What is the best approach with AT?

Got my invitation🤟
I built a Plan, just out of interest…how Do you see an overview ( Like 6 weeks base, 8 weeks build, etc)?

For me, I go to my Career page on the web. There are two squares on the second row: “TRAINING PLAN” and “Progression Levels”. At the bottom of the TRAINING PLAN square, you can click on a link to “View Plan Overview”.

Interestingly I just moved a workout from Sunday to Saturday and afterwards AT had a pending adaptation to the workout

That is to say, the workout was on Sunday, no adaptations. I moved it to Saturday, Adaptations suggested (small update in PL, from 4.9 to 5.0, large update in duration, from 1:15->2:00)

Seems likely they are working on something with adapting workouts that have the dates changed

2 Likes

Thanks, maybe thats not working because my Plan is in the nearer future

Okay, you might also try going to the calendar. For example, my calendar shows “BUILD” just above “Week 7” on July 6. Not quite as descriptive as the things I find in “View Plan Overview” (mentioned above), though.

1 Like

I have done at least 10 OE type sessions outdoors and never achieved a increase in levels for one. Threshold session work fine but OE never do.
I have completed OE sessions where the average power for every interval was on or above target and it still registered as a fail.

1 Like

Maybe a support call, but I’m thinking there maybe an easy work around.

1. I missed a vo2 workout, and my PL for vo2 plummeted from 5 something to 3 something and the recommended adaptations tuned down all my future vo2 workouts - I rejected the adaptations.

2. I did a threshold workout, it was easy and my PL went up just 0.1 but the adaptation tuned up all my future threshold workouts & tuned down all my vo2 workouts (the ones I had previously rejected)…I made a mistake and rejected all the adaptations

3. I added back in the missed workout manually as it had disappeared from my calendar for tomorrow.

If I do the missed workout tomorrow, will that fix my vo2 PL?

If I choose a harder alternate for the next Threshold workout, will that set me back on the right track there too?