Abus GameChanger

Does anyone have experience with the Abus Gamechanger?

I don’t believe the name but . . . . looks kind’ve rad IMHO

Yeah I’ve got it since September. Nice helmet.

Different helmets use different headforms. Do you feel like the headform on this helmet is more of a round shape or ovalized shape?

Have you used any other aero helmets? If so, how does this compare?

I find that hard to answer. Probably a bit more oval.

I only have a non-aero road for comparison, sorry.

Bump…Any more experience with the Gamechanger? Looks great on the Movistar, Alpecin-Fenix and Bora pro-conti guys…

Owner of the LBS tried one last year and he was not a fan. Zero adjustability in the straps and no pad set inside.

Put me off it as I was considering it…looks like a great helmet, but maybe not so much in execution.

But, this is obviously a N=1 case.

1 Like

Yea the name is off putting.

If I had one:

Other Rider: Hey that’s a nice helmet. What’s it called?
Me: Umm… I don’t know.

The brand name is also a problem. I see the Abus logo, I think “lock!”. Not “high performance helmet”. It’s like having a skinsuit made by Yale.

1 Like

Team mate has one and absolutely swears that it’s the best (most comfortable, fitting) helmet he has ever owned. Guess helmets are a bit like saddles though.

1 Like

Tried it on and did not buy it mainly due to the missing padding on the upper part. Feels weird if you are bald :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Complete and full disclosure, I am employed by ABUS and the GameChanger is one of three helmets I use regularly.

Glad to hear you think “lock”. In the US it’s a tad strange as our helmets have only been around for about 4-5 years. In Europe, our helmets have been around for 30+ years and we are the largest helmet maker in addition to our locks. We started with commuter helmets and moved to performance helmets in the last 10 years.

Concerning fit, It’s more of an oval then round. I tend to suggest people fit it by the sides. The straps don’t have an adjustment under the ears as they are designed with an airfoil to reduce vibration. So if you have a tall head, it might be tight. There is a good amount of adjustment below the chin and with the rear retention system. In addition it’s one of the lighter aero helmets on the market taking cues from our commuter line which are pretty low weight.

But as people said, helmets are like saddles, what might be great for one doesn’t necessarily work for another, as a person with very little hair on my head.

Thank you all for at least trying it.

6 Likes

It seems to have become part of the club uniform in a club that I ride in, several have bought and highly recommend it!

German Mag Tour Int just did a helmet test. They didn’t do a GameChanger, but it’s stablemates didn’t do well. Bad rotational protection and harsh impact#s relative. Specialized, Scott, and Lazer’s helmets did much better.

Some other test (don’t know the details)

2 Likes

Tried it today, had exactly the same experience. Missing padding for bald head is a no go.

It’s very individual, I have one and I swear by it but I can see how not having a padding could be a problem with a bald head.

It definitely feels fast and ventilation is quite excellent for an aero road helmet. There’s a specific head angle when it really seems to work - it’s like aero kicks in at full force and I can feel the air moving over my neck and back, I’ve not had a similar experience with any other helmet I own/owned.

It’s one of the smallest low profile helmets. Possibly, the best looking aero helmet available, particularly in matte black.

It’s sold as a Canyon helmet in some countries. A little known rider… Mathieu van der Poel wears one.

Looks great on most riders, most notably smaller riders who normally look like they are wearing gigantic mushrooms.

Padding, comfort etc superb. I have hair.

Sizing, medium low cut off size measurement is high, I could have fit a small.

Ventilation very good for an aero lid.

Aero, no idea. I don’t have a wind tunnel. Definitely, better than my vented old school helmet.

MVDP wins lots of races wearing one… so obviously you will too :joy:

FWIW I have found it only slightly ovalized, for comparison I couldn’t find a good fit in some POC helmets because they’re more ovalized. Otherwise I’m a fan, low profile, decent quality, yes it lacks padding but it hasn’t bothered my head yet! Other helmets that fit me well are Giro and Sweet Protection for reference.

well I watched a former Dirty Kanza champ high side and crack his skull good while wearing this helmet. Never lost consciousness and survived. To me, the protective benefits of this helmet must be WAY more than adequate. As to any other qualities, I can’t say.

I raced in one this weekend and loved it. It definitely suits a more oval head shape and I personally found it cooled better than other helmets that I have owned. The vents are well placed and at top two act like an induction so a nice amount of air pulls through and over the top of your head and out the rear exhuast ports. Very happy with this purchase. It felt quite aero in my position and i didnt get any pooling of sweat across the top of forehead.