A thank you trainer road, failure turned success story

Hi all,

I started on trainer road in November using plan builder with a road race climbing specialty and kept pretty faithfully to the plan through Nov and Dec, missed a few sessions here and there and supplemented with ski touring as seasonally appropriate. I became disillusioned with TR right at the end of my build phase after failing a few workouts and also having to lower the intensity on workouts that had me doing 105% FTP for 8+ minutes (those are soul destroying, dont know why they exist). I ignored my calendar beeping at me last week and didn’t work out at all (so I missed the last two scheduled workouts of the plan, they were fairly low intensity ones, but I literally was done)

HOWEVER.

Went for a Saturday spin with a buddy this past weekend and absolutely smashed all the climbs. Took 35 seconds off my previous PR up a segment I’ve done loads of times (think its roughly 800m at 7%, a nice tester). Rolled up a 2km climb that had sections of 19% gradient that previously I’d have had to walk up, and it felt not exactly easy, but definitely like i had more in the tank. I am genuinely stunned, surprised and really really happy with the result. So this post is a thank you to the trainer road folks, you did what you said you’d do and helped me be faster. My FTP hasn’t moved a lot, I’m not heading for the pro peloton anytime soon, but I’m so happy with the real world outcome for my cycling. Woop!

24 Likes

and it felt not exactly easy, but definitely like i had more in the tank

It doesn’t get easier, you just get faster :stuck_out_tongue:
Good job on the improvement!

1 Like

If you were doing Sustained Power Build, they kinda pop up out of no where without much preparation. I also found them difficult and challenging but I think the biggest benefits I noticed from doing these was the increased mental toughness and ‘RPE recalibration’. Threshold intervals suddenly didn’t feel so bad. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I get that, VO2 max intervals are a lot easier now than before, the progression from 1 min to 2 mins 30 of them doesn’t feel as bad as it could! Still the 8-10 min one just over FTP i just really struggle to do, its a head wrecker.