80/20 Masters training - include dog walks or not?

I’ve been using intervals.icu to check my past 6 months training, I’m 57 and get AFib when training too hard, so I want to try and do some 80/20 training using polarized plans.

If I include my regular 30-40 min daily dog walk in the stats things better than if I don’t, question is do I consider them part of my training or not? A proper walk in the hills, or a few hours from home I classify as a hike. On a dog walk I’m stopping to let her sniff, do her business etc.

With walks included:




Another training app advises that if you gear up it’s a workout, if you do it in your regular clothes it’s just a daily activity and you don’t add it to your training schedule


I don’t include walking around the grocery store or the the mall in my training, so I wouldn’t include dog walks either. I would definitely include the hike you mentioned though.


Kinda funny…I walk to my gym…1.7 miles each way, total time about 50 minutes round trip. In my Training Peaks stats I will gain 1 point of fitness every walk. On another note…did a 2.5 hr zone 2 ride yesterday…got 1 point of fitness.


I include walks, hikes, running, rowing, workouts etc. along with cycling in how I calculate my overall fitness in Intervals.icu, but i filter those sports out of the totals when comparing periods.

1 Like

I don’t think Z1 counts for 80/20. The 80% is Z2, the other 20% Z4 and above.

1 Like

So what I am hearing is if he wears his kit while walking his dog… it counts! :rofl:

Meanwhile over on Strava…


I wouldn’t include anything that’s not cycling.


I don’t include dog walks because they are usually so slow I consider them basically non-fatiguing. If I go on a hike or long dedicated walk, I’ll count it in my training. So it depends on the level of effort of your dog walks imo.


1 Like

This is why creating a program about intensity distribution makes no sense

1 Like

Retired and 60yrs old.
Only realised the effect dog walking has very recently.
My daily dog walk is 90-110 mins usually, all off road and through fields and woods, slow pace.
If I do a low effort zone 2 afterwards my average HR is always 5-10 beats higher than if I don’t walk before hand. VO2 sessions are waayyyyy harder if I walk prior.
I usually allow around 60-90 mins between walk and turbo.
I’ve started doing the VO2 prior to walking, zone 2 isn’t a problem just a higher HR.

1 Like

Science and research seems to suggest monitoring intensity and even doing 80/20 for masters athletes is important.

Yes I think when it gets to that length it would have an affect. If you walk in the morning and exercise later in the afternoon after lunch, does it have any affect?

No doubt it would but I never do it that way!

1 Like

Andrew Huberman has a lot to answer for here.

Also; go get ablation?

I’ve had two already!

1 Like

It depends on what you are training your dog to do.



If I lift weights in pajamas (I do), but I don’t sleep in them (I don’t) does that make it gear?

Sound logic, inline with mine, if I recorded it on my garmin and it uploaded to strava before I could stop it would I want it there.

I was wondering the same thing as I typically do 7 to 10km dog walks at a good pace 3 to 5 days a week. I believe they should be included as they are not an insignificant TSS (30 - 50) so should be accounted for. I already add a weekly weights session. I’m 61 and on the HV plan. I don’t know if adaptive training will do anything with the data though.

The most important thing is that you are accounting for the dog walks in your nutrition plan.