50W Jump in FTP - what to do

I was just about research / post the same question !

I started in october → FTP 191. Jumped to 205 in november, but I was a bit the day I did the ramp test so I underscored a bit I guess. In december I started adding some 2-5% on some workouts. Then in January I did a ramp test when I was well rested - 246.

I was very happy for about 15 minutes, until I realized I probably won’t be able to finish workouts - especially that there is a combo → I didn’t work out on the bike during Christmass, the workouts in my plan are getting longer after the rest week and new FTP.

And sure enough, I got slammed on the second workout I did… I thought it over, and what I just did is to manually set to 220 (10% down - tested today, I can complete stuff at this level, although it’s very challenging) and I will increase by 5 W every week.

Anyway, good luck !

Not fatigued buddy, but you’ve been doing intervals at ~50W less up until now. You’ll want a few sessions to build up you’re experience of the much higher exhertion in your VO2 max intervals.

Do a couple of sessions with intervals below FTP - these are still tough workouts - then try Baird -1 (1min intervals at VO2max on Sunday or Monday. I bet you’ll cruise through it by comparison. Then if that all goes well the week* following try Shortoff (2 min intervals at VO2max)

Give yourself a chance before blaming the kit or the protocol :+1:

*Or whatever period appropriate for your training plan.

I set it at 260 - halfway between the old 235 and the new 285.
If I’m able to get through a few workouts I’ll up it 5 at time until it becomes a problem at which point I’ll probably retest.

That seems like a really solid approach. You will still build fitness and get a training benefit, even if set slightly low (which it may not me). Keep in mind though that the plans also do have some ramp up in intensity and TSS as you progress through them, so if you are just barely getting through workout you have to be somewhat careful ramping up FTP manually.

1 Like

Update - this strategy worked really well for me. Small steps of 5 W and I’m training with 240 W - will be upgrading next week to the FTP I got on the test (246) although I already add some intensity manually during the workout if I feel well.

3 Likes