3x20 SS is no joke

The more I read about it the more I understand my mistake :slight_smile: Tommorow I will try big and powerfull circular industrial fan, but during the week I should receive the blower style fan. Currently the only fan I had was my cat and he was not good at it :wink:

3 Likes

This is another important part of his debate about the how SS intervals “should” feel. If FTP is set too high, sweet spot intervals become more like threshold intervals, and RPE and HR will drift too high.

The ramp test over estimates my FTP. Even the 20 minute test I think overestimates my FTP, although not to the same extent. (Note: I’m interpreting FTP here as meaning the power that corresponds with MLSS - something I could hold for 40-70 minutes).

Using a heart rate cap for SS intervals acts as a check in case FTP is overestimated (“vanity FTPs” as Steve Neal has called them).

2 Likes

This is a different point than I was making above about how SS intervals “should” feel. But it’s true (for me) that lower cadence makes the interval feel easier. Below is a recent interval I did. You can see a distinct drop in HR for the 2nd half of the 2nd interval when I reduced my cadence.

:+1:t3: Looks like training is working!

2 Likes

There’s always going to be a bit of debate on these longer workouts. Frankly, a 20min effort in SS should have the rider reach a very obvious steady state. If you HR is constantly increasing - which in the above screenshots, it is - it’s a good indication that your aerobic conditioning is lacking or your FTP is too set too high.

These are steady-state, sub FTP efforts that are wayyyy long enough to settle in. So, your physiology should settle. If it’s not settling, revisit your zones/retest etc.

6 Likes

Good point that - with mine today there was only a 7 bpm drift from first to last interval and aside from the first couple of mins as you settle in mine stayed pretty constant - interval 1/147bpm 2/150bpm 3/ 152bpm 4/154bpm - although cooling is vital as it is winter now and I find it more difficult to keep on top of this if I do long SS intervals in the summer.

It’s the former for me - need to improve aerobic base, and reduce power/HR decoupling in workouts like this.

Another reason to pay attention to HR when evaluating intervals like these.

1 Like

Thanks … yes, slowly but surely. I am ok with slowly but persistent :slight_smile:

I bought a fan, I have taken 2 first galena+1 intervals as a workout. I have eaten exactly the same meals today and the fuelled in the same manner on the bike. Today was a work day so I am more tired than on Saturday.

The difference was like a night and day:D the workout that was very hard has become the normal workout. It has felt more like 85÷ threshold than 95÷ :slight_smile:
My HR was 15 bpm lower on two intervals. I have messed up my fan position during the second interval so it went up. But in terms of RPE I have a feeling that now I know what sweet spot is and how it should feel - I was simply cooking inside before.

Thank you all for your help and your insights. The great secret was simply a fan and proper cooling :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree. This is 1 of 2 40 minute intervals I’ve worked my way up to. It’s roughly 4.5 minutes at 85% with another .5 minutes at 120%, repeated 8 times. When I started with 2x20/3x15’s my HR would slowly creep up over the duration of the interval.

Same cooling, same everything, but now my HR spikes with power spikes then drops back down to the basically the same level as I start with.

P.S. I think I top at out 96% of FTP for these types of intervals and my HR is finally stable whether it’s 85 or 95%. 95% will yield a higher HR but it’s steady and not slowly increasing…

2 Likes

I know this is Trainerroad and everyone is about power numbers, but would just like to put this here as food for thought.

Hypothetically speaking, if your heart rate rises to 90% of your max heart rate during a sweet spot workout, are you still doing a sweet spot workout or perhaps it is a vo2max workout now?

If this is a persistent trend during your sweet spot workout, does it mean that you are doing vo2max workouts with the volume prescription of sweet spot work? What does it mean for your training load and recovery?

I wouldn’t say everyone is about power numbers…there are loads of people coaching, training, researching, etc with both power and heart rate. They tell different stories and are not data points meant to be better/worse than the other.

To answer your question, I will make an important assumption: The maximum heart rate of the individual is well known.

So if someone is doing a sweet-spot effort and their HR rises to 90% max, then there’s a couple of things not lining up. Depending on the length of the time the individual is at 90% max HR, it’s not necessarily that they’re doing VO2Max “work”. However, if this is consistent in their sweet spot work then I would say they’ve got their FTP set too high.

Sweet spot intervals, particularly longer ones , should be characterized by a steady heart rate that is below the threshold heart rate of the individual. And while there’s various ways to estimate one’s threshold heart rate, an old rule of thumb was your average heart rate from a 20min FTP test effort.

Bottom line is that heart rate is definitely a useful parameter that can help align the work you’re doing (power) with the physiological system producing the intended work.

Anyone doing sweet spot intervals would FEEL like something can’t be right if their HR is rising up to 90% max. Imagine a workout with 110% FTP intervals, and this person would be at max heart rate and way above their limits. This wouldn’t be useful training and certainly not stressing the intended physiological systems.

2 Likes

Well said :+1:

Yep, pretty sure that is me. The problem is, most TR intervalls are fairly short, and with good anaerobic power (and 5-min power) you can complete them all, but you’re probably working over the designated zone. That doesn’t become apparent until the intervalls go to +10 minutes, because your short power will take you through something that is essentially a long vo2 interval.
@arcos makes a good point above, that what will suffer is your recovery. It can take me 2-3 days to recover from a ‘sweetspot’ workout.

(That was my last year’s experience, this time round I’m dropping the intensity on sweetspot and maybe threshold, but keep it on vo2)

This might stating the obvious, but for such longer sub threshold workouts, you should work your way into it. This is not something that you can jump straight into if you have not done something similar recently.

Look into progression of time, while keeping the power the same. Something like 3x10, 3x12, 3x15 and finally 3x20. Not too different from the introduction to Vo2Max workout that Coach Chad mentioned previously.

1 Like

Dear all , one thing I have noticed is that there is difference in the same workout using the big ring front vs small ring front. Using the small ring front means less interia making the same work out harder. Eclipse for me is a total different workout depending on which ring I use front even being on erg mode. Small ring is RPE higher and HR higher. Currently using a kickr . Check your workout next time using different front rings and bear in mind interia. I wish TR would have a podcast about this as it affects their product they are selling and advise which ring we should use

We’ve talked about this a lot. This is why I use the H2/3. I want the big fly where to make it closer to riding outside.

Jonathan likes the low inertia of rollers or a small ring to mimic the really steep climbs he has MTBing. I argue that he’s going too low, but I’m not smart enough to do the math so we are at an impass.

But his brother is a rocket scientist…I bet he could do it! @Jonathan it could be cool to figure out what the inertia is for a few different weights outside (150, 175, 200) and then see what kinda speed/gearing on popular trainers would match that.

10 Likes

I completely agree. I was really struggling and failing a fair number of workouts the last time I did Sweet Spot Base in the small ring. Then I heard them mention on the podcast that it feels easier in the big ring, so I switched to the big ring and it has made a huge difference! I completed every workout in SSB1 at the same FTP and was generally able to tack on more volume at the end. I’m still on track through SSB2 now with a higher FTP. Thanks for the tip!

Hi nate please explain H 2/3 you mentioned in your thread

He had referred to the Saris H2 and Saris H3 smart trainers as I understood.

1 Like

Yes, and the “official” names for the trainers are as follows (with the company renaming that took place between the release of the two most recent models) in case people want to search and find specific models.

• CycleOps Hammer (unofficially the “H1”)
  • CycleOps H2 (unofficially the “Hammer 2”)
  • Saris H3 (unofficially the “Hammer 3”)