2400 Calorie energy drink

I think there are studies linked above that say 30g per serving or 30g per hour.

Askerā€™s article says 30gr and say itā€™s about 3-7% of energy use - Iā€™d think that if 30gr of MCT is at least around 250cal, and we are talking about 3-7% of energy use, we are considering a longer period than an hour.

1 Like

This PDF - that I have no idea of itā€™s basis in science - though it does have pictures of people in white coats so it must be OK, and seems to come from a .edu domain suggests up to 100g a day max.

A maximum daily dose of 50-100 grams has been suggested for improved gastrointestinal tolerance;ā€¦ daily dose of MCTs should be increased as tolerated to the maximum daily dose, while equally dividing the dose across all meals.

1 Like

https://www.dnatured.com/medicine/study-confirms-americans-will-believe-anything-said-by-people-wearing-white-coats-as-long-as-theyre-not-doctors-or-scientists/

Watch about those white coatsā€¦:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

Someone posted some studies about MCT effects showing performance decrease and GI distress compared to 100% CHO when I asked the same question in this thread: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/how-are-people-getting-100g-carbs-in-a-bottle/30328/347?u=lazydog

1 Like

For the sake of science, and the good of the Forum, I tried a version of this on Sundayā€™s long ride (~60 miles, 3500 feet elev gain, strong wind, 3:20 ride time, solo). I used 200 grams maltodextrin, 100 grams fructose and 35 grams MCT powder, for roughly 1500 kcal. Heated 500 ml of water in a stove top pot and mixed the ingredients in, then let cool while I did a swim workout. The resultant mixture filled a 750ml to the top (just enough room for 2 ice cubes). I took a second bottle of plain water to chase it with, and decided to take a chug (about 4-5 swallows) every 30 min starting at 30 min mark. It was fairly thick, but not enough to clog the bottle. The tasteā€¦I would put it somewhere between cotton candy and liquid Captain Crunch. It was extremely sweet and sometimes difficult to swallow (choked a few times). I used a little over half, so maybe 600ml, probably 800-900 kcal. Chasing it with water was a necessity. I find that Maurten leaves my mouth a little cottony/doesnā€™t feel like itā€™s hydrating me (fueling, yes; relieving thirst, maybe, but it doesnā€™t feel like it). This stuff??? 10x worse. I didnā€™t have any stomach upset, but I canā€™t picture using this in a race, much less in training. If somebody can come up with a high calorie drink that doesnā€™t have the sweetness and viscosity of pancake syrup, and is easy on the stomach, Iā€™m game to try. But this recipe: ā€œItā€™s a hard NO for me, Dawgā€

4 Likes

Thanks for putting your gut (and your tongue) on the line in the interests of science.

iirc, GCN were describing this as an ā€œ8 hour bottleā€. The sort of thing you would use for a double century ride. Which I guess means you were right about it not being appropriate for training or racing.

definitely could not use that for 8 hours. I didnā€™t want to finish what I had after 3 hours

Thanks, thatā€™s interesting - you used a much higher ratio of fructose than in the video, and much less MCT. I believe that would make it a lot sweeter.

I tried this. Made 250ml of it, tried on 90min trainer ride. Taste okay, my stomach sooo upset, i havenā€™t touched MCTs in monthsā€¦

1 Like

I found it didnā€™t upset my stomach but itā€™s not palatable enough. Too heavy. Maurten gels it is then.