2023 Roadie Goals!

this is going to be a super fun adventure and journey, keep us posted how the training goes!

1 Like

!!! that’s a good reason to wipe it; wild adventure. good luck! train hard for that!!!

Stretch goal… I want to climb 10km in a single ride (and Everest, too).

I think it would be nice to climb 32k+ feet while I’m 32.

But, again, stretch goal…

Otherwise, all my events are mtb related.

2 Likes

Meters or feet? :crazy_face:

1 Like

:triumph:

Fixed.

I’m planning on doing a 400K brevet, so I’d probably do a 200, 300, 400 series with Great Lakes Randonneuring.
I’m also seriously considering RAW (Ride Across Wisconsin) which is 235 miles, but I will have to increase my average speed by another 2 mph to be able to make it comfortably in one day

5 Likes

One main goal and that’s “gold” at La Marmotte. Which would be a time of 8:39 in my age category.

6 Likes

My main goals for the 2023 season are two big European Gran Fondo’s. Maybe some local crits (Netherlands), but only as preperation.

Absolute A goal is the Marmotte Granfondo in France on July 2.
180km with ca. 5000m of elevation (4 alpine climbs).

Preperational B goal is the Trois Ballons Granfono, also France June 3.
180km with ca. 4000m of elevation (5 medium mountain climbs).

And in preperation of that some pre-season classics, like the Amstel Gold Race Granfondo (punchy hills) or Ronde van Vlaanderen Cyclo.

Aim for Marmotte is sub-8 hours and I want to be at 4,5+ W/kg.

So coming months will be mostly big hours some unstructured intensity for maintenance and gym.
January-February will be mostly base (z2) and gym.
February-March will be mostly base (z2 and some z3) + SIT/HIIT (30s or 60s intervals z5+) to bring some speed back.
April will be VO2max focussed.
May will be Treshold focussed.
June will be specific preperation for Marmotte with Sweetspot and Treshold and taper.

@brendanhousler do you think going Base>SIT/HIIT>VO2Max>Treshold is a good progression, or is 7-8 weeks between last proper VO2max week and A goal is to long? I feel I won’t need VO2max as much at the event as I won’t be ‘racing’ and should be below FTP at all times.

Really excited for the challenge. Never done something so big. I have done a few rides over 8-9-10 hours, but mostly easy Z2 in big groups, never 8 hours of which 4-5 hours uphill at tempo.

3 Likes

Not road racing per se but late June I’ve got my first ultra. 320km in 24hrs.
Next few months are going to be lots and lots of longer slower days and some dark rides to get used to it.

5 Likes

The Main Target will be the Alpenbrevet Gold Tour. ( 200k / 5000+m). In September. The Rest is Not der Clear. Maybe The Trios Ballon in june. And Dome Gravel Events trat fit my schedule

2 Likes

Great thread.

My goal for 2023 is to complete the Maratona di Dolomites on 2 July 2023. Am probably going for medio distance (103 km, 3000m climbing). Not racing - the goal is finishing, :slight_smile:

Am also planning on the doing the Tour du Lac - Lausanne-Lausanne (May) and the Bauke Mollema tour in the Netherlands (August).

4 Likes
  1. My own summer solstice long ride tradition, next year goal is 600km/24h
  2. Extend TTE to 1h, complete Unicorn workout.
  3. Self-supported 800km gravel race, attempting in one go.
5 Likes

Marmotte will be sweet! I have switched up my base training a bit from what you highlighted a bit above. I actually sprinkle in some vo2 and harder rides through Feb/Mar instead of just riding endurance. I think either will work, but the latter just keeps everything humming along, whereas the former is a bit more old school.

If you need vo2 work, trying to cram it in is a bit much. Then you neglect it with threshold focus. I’d blend those two together.

and hit some races before if you can, some hard race like efforts.

Vo2max isn’t just for race efforts though, that’s your entire aerobic capacity. The stronger it is, the better you will ride for long durations of time. You might not need to focus on it, but at some point, the gains from z2 are exhausted. Even for Ultra racers, we do more than just z2.

1 Like

had a guy do Alpen Platinum (whatever the super insane long one is). SOOO COOL!!!
have a blast! practice the clothing if you haven’t done it before, the weather over such a long day was a bit of everything!

I’ve also considered GMSR 40+ as one of my priority events for next year. It looks like a fun event.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haven’t really settled on them yet, as only really in start of the “off” season. But…

• I’d like to enter race season at race weight, as I feel chasing that compromised my season a bit.
  • Earn an upgrade in my vets/ masters racing. I had a good first season, 2 wins and 1 6th, but it was kinda win or bust rather than accumulate points. Wins aren’t to be sniffed at obviously, but only those 3 races do I feel I really raced with my head.
  • Club Open Race - be competitive
  • A Events still a bit up in the air, with a few travel options in the mix, but only one likely to happen (RVV v Summer Trip to Alps)
2 Likes

I really want to do the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, but the logistics are about as daunting as the ride itself.

1 Like

Only road goal is to do the assault on Mt Mitchell again this May. We have a family yellow jersey because quite a few of us cycle and do this event. Need to take it from my uncle who’s done it nearly 10 times, he lives right by the start and is always really motivated to lay down a good time. This will be my second attempt and gotta get sub 6:30.

3 Likes

say hi if you go! i’m 50% committed. Far drive but my husband has family nearby, so would be cool! and nice to not get throttled in the p12 lolol

1 Like

sounds brutal, agree. not a huge fan of that climb…did it riding from Asheville to Blowing Rock and was a bit disappointed.