2023 Roadie Goals!

Asheville to Blowing Rock

That sounds amazing. You were on the Parkway the whole time?

pretty much! a wet one too https://www.strava.com/activities/5653748623

3 Likes

Good lord! Every time I think I’m doing a lot of work guys like you post up amazing rides like ^^^. Seriously, good work man. 250 avg for 6+ hours is respectable on every level including pro. 6100+ Kj’s? That’s like 50 gels, a dozen glazed donuts, two #1 In&Out meals and one piece of celery.

1 Like

Delaware Gran Fondo
Three Local TT
Milano San Remo Sportiff (Gran Fondo Style)
2 Crits

50+ Cat 4

you’re prob doing amazing work! compare yourself only to your previous self! :rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:
(I also weigh 81kg so that helps with the watt smashing. Good for USA riding, bad for 40 minute climbs lolol)

1 Like

Would like to do a solo 100 miler under 4:15 on a road bike with no stops (other than :toilet:)…This year’s attempt at 4:19 shaved 3 mins off the 2021 time 101.9 mi Ride Activity on July 3, 2022 by Steve R. on Strava but another 0.4mph is going to be a stretch.

Counter to this, I would also like to get a bit more punch and repeatability of surges to help in races.

5 Likes

Yikes thats fast :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice and flat!

This is a good question. The racing season is so short here in AZ, and my life is so busy with kids sports events that if I’m not willing to travel there’s not a lot of racing. I’ve been pondering whether I’ll do it or not. Better hurry as our season kicks off in late Jan and early Feb.

1 Like

that is the one downside of the wild west, huge drives to races. Hopefully you can get out to 1 or 2. Or maybe make a trip to a cool GF where there is a lot to do for the rest of the family!

Our 2 year old likes to go through massive and prolonged sleep regressions, so my goals are mostly just to make it out to races for 2023 and finish:

• Pace Bend Ultra 6hr
  • Texas Time Trials 6hr
  • Possibly whatever Holland Racing does with No Country for Old Men, would love to finish my double century finally
1 Like

I see Mt. Shasta checked off your list. What route did you take?

1 Like

From Dunsmuir and into Shasta City, past the high school and up Everett Memorial Highway. Couple posts about it:

And

1 Like

I raced the New Glarus omnium a few years ago. Not BSing about that climb to the finish line. I had just water in my bottles and it was a right warm day. On the last lap climbing that beast I started cramping, fortunately it was in the false flat section. I have since become a wiser person re nutrition.

Road is dying: [US cycling faces tough challenges rebuilding road racing scene, developing home-grown talent - VeloNews.com] (US cycling faces tough challenges rebuilding road racing scene, developing home-grown talent - VeloNews.com)

@KorbenDallas , Your post really inspired me. I’m 46 and I started racing in the US (I live in the UK now). I’m a 3 but I’ve gotten close to my Cat 2 upgrade, and I don’t think it’s time to give up on it yet. Where I struggle with that is keeping the balance with still having fun, and not being too deflated when I don’t get it.

Goals:

• Get down to 69 or 70 kgs (from 73.5). Even if I start to see some fitness decline from age, that would more than make up for it.
  • Get a handful of podiums.
  • Top 5 vets RR
  • Cat 2
  • Race a big gravel race.
  • Possibly do a big Euro sportive.
1 Like

we all have ups and downs! def don’t get deflated when you come across failure; it’s GOING to happen if you’re TRYING!! Learn from it and use that towards the next event!!!

KEEP CRUSHING. You are so young.

3 Likes

My roadie goals have diminished quite a bit over the last five years since I’m transitioned more into gravel and xc marathon-ish races. I’ll probably do Valley of the Sun, but do the p/1/2 for a good training weekend. Maybe stick around AZ for Tucson cycling classic or whatever it’s called right now. Far cry from when I was doing 30-40 crits a year :rofl:

I would like to do some of the crazy long road races in Utah. But that’s really it. Maybe I’lll do master nats but probably not. I’m hoping road races, esp the longer style ones you see in Utah make some headway with how popular gravel is.

Thanks Brendan! (assuming that was meant for me) It’s really nice to get some encouragement from people who understand road racing, and probably the biggest benefit I think I miss from coaching. It’s “easy” to work a plan, and get absorbed by the numbers, and especially to be critical of yourself.

1 Like

Since youre east coast-ish, what rad competitive road events are left that are worth doing? I always do the gran fondo national series in Ga, avl and boone do to awesome routes and solid competition , but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there otherwise to choose from. Gravel…yes, road, not much. Any recommendations?