2022 Giro d’Italia Thread

Girmay :eyes:….the guy is a force to be reckoned with!

3 Likes

Man…he held that sprint for a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time. MVP looked to be coming around him but Girmay simply faded less than MVP in the last 50M.

He really needs more team support…Intermarche had what looked like 3 other riders in that group and other than a token leadout from Possivivo (I think), there was no organized effort to help out Girmay.

1 Like

Cool that Wanty has gone from the guys in neon yellow riding no hope TV breakaways to winning races in not too long a period. I say cappello!!!

That’s chapeau in Italian right? Close enough… It’s a good Giro so far.

Your Linguistic Pal,

Darth

3 Likes

very awesome finish by Girmay and held those watts for a while. Good tactics for sure by going when he did as he was ahead by a good clip.

2 Likes

That “thumbs up” from MVP as Girmay crossed the line was pretty damn cool…

3 Likes

Yates reminds me of G. Thomas, Ulrich, Lopez, etc. Always talked about as a GC contender, but finds a way to have one (or more) bad days. All of these did win a GT, but their GT track record never lived up to their GC hype. To me, the ability to not have a bad day (or be able to cover when you are on a bad day) is really what makes GT winners so amazing - the ability (luck???) to be so consistent over the 20 stages.

Reports that Girmay got taken to the hospital after getting a champagne cork in his eye…fooooook.

ETA - confirmed. No update on his status.

Lopez hasn’t won a GT yet (Assuming you are talking about MA Lopez)

The bookies and news outlets need to create the hype, but doesn’t mean is a real statement of belief.

My bad. I wrote Lopez, but I conflated Fabio Aru’s Vuelta win with Lopez.

I don’t disagree that bookies / commentators hype riders to create a sense of drama that doesn’t always (never???) exists in reality.

what is wrong with those bottles???

1 Like

Girmay to make decision in the AM whether he will continue in the Giro…this is such a bummer for him.

1 Like

Seem a bit trigger happy. But rule number one, never open a bottle with your head directly above it.

3 Likes

:+1: And never check a gun with the barrel pointed at your head.

1 Like

Watching Yates I sometimes catch myself thinking “he’s a bit crap really”. It always reminds me of that meme of a middle-aged guy sat on the couch shouting “Loser” at the TV as some pro gets shelled out the back after doing 6W/Kg for an hour up a mountain.

1 Like

Man, this doesn’t look good for Girmay to start tomorrow…hope I am wrong.

2 Likes

Lmao. Not that he got hurt but the way it was done

What is wrong with the officials on the stage??? Somebody tell him to not aim a loaded weapon at his face!

2 Likes

Yeah I was joking, but something wierd happened to mvdp also after his stage win. I would guess these guys don’t pop a lot of champagne. Might be a fun training class to have them practice it once or twice.

1 Like

I dunno…MVP has probably popped more champagne bottles than most people…:champagne::champagne::champagne:

1 Like

Just saw the last 10K replay and I have to say Intermarche did a ton of work to keep that race together… kudos to those boys… they were all likely cooked at the end… given all the hitters that were in that large group, I thought they did a great job… I was actually much more surprised Alpecin didn’t seem to have even one guy there in the last 10K to help MVP

5 Likes