2022 Giro d’Italia Thread

Like but don’t like :-o I heard it earlier when I had GCN on in the background I never realised it may have been that bad. I hope it isn’t.

Girmay = new Sagan?

Intermache didn’t seem to do as much work to control the race as Alpecin I thought. It was amazing how many they had in the final group though.

Girmay may be the new Sagan, but I don’t think he has the ability to surf the final the way Sagan did. He is still learning his trade it seems, but so far he’s spent most of the Giro on MVdP’s wheel. (A good wheel to learn from no doubt).

1 Like

Don’t think so but good for him for taking a stage. He still has a long ways to go to get to Sagan status and win a flat stage for that matter.

:money_mouth_face:

Good for him

After 2019, I’m not certain his agent’s word should be taken too seriously….:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jos van Emden mentioned in the (Dutch) podcast from Laurens ten Dam that during the Giro they half open the bottles to make it easier to pop the bottles. Then they put the metal holder back on the bottle.

If they don’t properly inform the riders about this… it’s not really a surprise bad stuff is going to happen.

1 Like

Agree on that, but he’s only 22 so give him some time and we’ll see. He has been on fire this spring (won Gent-Wevelgem, 5th in E3, 12th in milano-sanremo, and has 2nd, 2 4th and 2 5th in this Giro before he won) but it takes more than one season at the top to compete with the likes of Sagan. He was a contender for many seasons in a row (3 world championships back-to-back).

Also, it’s one thing to win when nobody is expecting you to (sorta like Gent-Wevelgem), it’s quite another to win when everybody is expecting you to, like yesterday (he was at least a favourite). But even harder to consistently win when everybody expects you to :wink:

It was great to see Girmay win. He’s such an exciting prospect! Hope he can carry on riding and winning in the Giro. An important day for Africa and for diversity in cycling

1 Like

Girmay is out, because of eye issues.

From Giro 2022: Biniam Girmay geeft op met oogblessure na kurkincident | WielerFlits which uses La Gazzetta dello Sport as source

I worked out a long time ago that thumbing off a champagne cork can only lead to bad things. Just grab it in your hand and pull it off. Problem solved.

1 Like

WOW what a finish by Dianese and he just took off. Really well done and made Caleb look slow

1 Like

That finishing kick was something because he was OUT of it…wow.

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved:

These bottles are not exactly small nor light. So not so easy to pick up from the floor with one hand and opened with the other.

After two days of relatively uninspired routes, tomorrow’s stage should bring some interest back to the race…almost certainly a day for the breakaways. A long, false-flat drag for the first ~90km until the start of the Passo del Bocco. Two more Cat 3’s on the way in to the finish should likely ensure the break sticks…30km from the top of the last climb to the finish, with 10km of descending.

1 Like

I thought Tuesday’s course was awesome - more parcours that mimic a classic or world’s route IMO

No surprise, but Ewan pulled the plug today and went home.

1 Like

Is there another sport where tradition and politics ruin the spectacle more than road cycling?

1 Like