2021 Venge...is it round the corner?

Thankfully I haven’t had need to use the warranty on my Roadmachine, but what’s the issue?

Ohs only the duration - 3 years warranty for the frame? In comparison to other main players, it seems a little short. I remove the price from the equation as BMC is definitely the most expensive from my shortlist but I really love the look and everyone tells they are very lovely to ride (I have not ridden one, unfortunately).

If it helps, it’s 5 years if you register the bike w/ BMC:

Buyers of a bicycle from Model Year 2011 onwards have the option of registering their frames within 30 days after purchase with a BMC retailer on the BMC website, which will extend the warranty period for the frame from 3 to 5 years. The warranty period is not extended after repair/exchange of the frame.

1 Like

Except when they talk about those watts they mean at 30mph… at 20mph it is more like 1 watt I would guess!

Yah, but winning that 35+ cat 4 race by a tire length sure does feel great! :smiley:

5 Likes

In our club’s group rides we routinely hit 30mph+ before a sprint. If we catch a tail wind on certain sections it could be 35-38+.

True!

1 Like

Well also remember that that 10 watts is usually measured at some sane power output…like 300 watts.

A pro sprinting at 40mph at 5X that 300 watts might save 50 watts.

Even on solo rides I hit 50 km/h on false flats and/or when I have the wind on my side. 35-45 km/h are not unusual in the least.

When you don’t race and you don’t care about every last bit of speed, then this may not matter. But, say, a 20-second advantage over a, say, 10-15 km lap during a race is huge.

From the SystemSix white paper:

Sprints are an obvious scenario where aerodynamic
optimization can have a big impact on performance.
The high speeds of a finale mean that aerodynamic drag
strongly dominates over other resistive forces. But just how
much difference can aerodynamic savings makes during
a final kick from the bunch? Let’s compare SystemSix and
SuperSix EVO – the two primary weapons of EF Education
First Drapac p/b Cannondale. Consider the final kick with
the final 200m covered at an average speed of 60 km/h.
For a typical rider that 12s effort would require an average
of 1000W. Over this final kick the SystemSix would achieve
a 2.1 km/h top speed and reach the line 0.4 sec ahead of
the modern race bike. That doesn’t sound like a big margin,
but at 60km/h that equates to 7.2m, or four bike lengths.
That is a huge difference over just the final 200m of a race.
Add to this the fact that SystemSix requires far less power
on the high speed run in to the finish, even when drafting.

3 Likes

Though aero gains don’t care about your moving speed but rather your velocity relative to the air. So 38 mph with an 8 mph tailwind would see the same aero losses as 30 with no wind.

2 Likes

I created a Madone thread with the release today:

I agree when comparing it to the previous model, but the 2021 BMC Teammachine changes things:

2 Likes

With the arrival of SL7, the word is that the Venge will be available as a frame set only.
Saw these of FB
Can anyone confirm whether they are real?

1 Like

If the venge had a bsa threaded bottom bracket in the frameset incarnation, that would be wonderful.

I still think the Venge looks cooler than the Tarmac (I have an SL6 Tarmac and still wish I bought the Venge)

1 Like

I hope they bring the Venge back so I can buy a frame or complete bike. Maybe SL7 is the best bike for everything but I am kicking myself not buying Venge now.

You can still buy the Venge Frameset

Ive just ordered a 2020 black frameset from my LBS

1 Like

Did you get a discount? I don’t see how they can continue to sell that frame for $6000 when they are selling the S Works Tarmac frame for $5000 while claiming it’s a better bike.

1 Like

S-WORKS Venge frameset in the UK is/was £3,700, was it really $6k dollars in the US?

Sagan version is $6000 and regular is $5500 on the US website.