1st World Problems

My new 2021 Scott Addict RC was delivered to the LBS Monday. It’s still in the box today. I’ve been without a road bike for August as I sold the old bike to fund this one. Gravel bike has been in and out of the shop for a bizarre free hub binding issue (I9 hubs). So, I’ve been riding the TT bike a fair bike which is fine but, I’m missing the road and gravel bikes. New respect for you triathletes. Don’t know how you do it?

Is there a support group for this? :wink: :sweat_smile: :boom:

4 Likes

Man same boat, well similar. I was in a crash and cracked my aeroad almost a month ago. Currently I’m on a TT bike waiting for allez sprint frame so I can build it up :grin:

1 Like

Man, my Tri bike is my most comfortable bike. I can sit on it for hours…and I have a very low position.

In fact, when I started TR last fall, I did Traditional Base HV I-III and put my Tri bike on my trainer because I knees I could ride that thing for hours if I needed to.

1 Like

Mine is too. Just, not 3-5 hr ideal…

You need a mountain bike.

2 Likes

I dropped everything off for a new MTB build at my (then) LBS on Xmas eve and was told I’d have it early in the new year. Stuff up after stuff up plus lock down then more stuff ups (followed by a few lies and trying to blame other suppliers) I finally got it in June, nearly 6 months later! Suffice to say, they are not my LBS anymore! I’m probably fitter and stronger thanks to all the indoor training I did instead but way to kill my planned (southern hemisphere) summer of MTB on a new bike.

3 Likes

Haha, I have the opposite problem! Bought myself a shiny new TT bike and got it shipped to my parents in Australia- was planning on staying there and racing for a few months over the uni break, and it meant I only had to fly the bike one way. Covid freakout happened like 3 days later, so it’s stuck there for however long now.

I mean, the road bike is way more versatile/comfortable for sure, but with no group rides now would be the perfect time to be out hammering it on the TT bike. Also I just want to go fast :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Good chance I’ve been doing this longer than you’ve been alive. My gravel bike feels a lot like my first mountain bike back in the 80’s. Before Rockshox were a thing. Technical mountain biking doesn’t do it for me anymore. Sort of like extreme skiing, it had it’s moment, but, now I just like to cruise. The gravel bike can take me where I want to go. I just need it to work.

1 Like

Man I’m getting old.

2 Likes

Haha. Me too.

I think he was making an n+1 joke though.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I described mine (only 90s for me) but with brakes that actually stop you!

2 Likes

Yep.

1 Like

Makes me wonder, was the Raleigh Grifter classed as a MTB :sweat_smile: All three gears and knobbly tyres! All my mates had them in the late 70’s, I just cruised with my Raleigh Chopper before my Raleigh 10 speed in early 80’s. Watching the tour made me switch, cost me £160 new. others that didn’t watch the tour moved on to BMX Diamond backs.

2 Likes

Have you got it yet? Really interested to hear feedback

It’s still in a box at the shop as of today. I’m not pissed per se as the shop has been so abnormally busy with straight up maintenance tickets that they stopped taken them for a week or so. But, it’s annoying to not have a road bike and it’s sitting there. When Scott ships bike product it’s basically all put together. All that needs to be done is insert the seat post (saddle already on), cut the steerer, maybe bleed brakes?? pedals and cages. 20 minutes? I asked if I could do it and they said no. I’ll be sure to post after I ride it. Hopefully next week.

Offer to buy pizza and beer for the mechanics if they stay after work to do it (and pay their build rate).

“Would you guys be willing to do it after hours? I’ll bring in pizza and beer…and of course pay for the build!”

1 Like

‘1st world’ is perhaps selling this one a bit short.

Having to ride your 3rd choice bike is a 1%er problem.

4 Likes

This is the 2021 Addict RC 10 size 54 in Prism Grey Green. Built yesterday! Second ride today. I have a number of things to tweak and am waiting on a few things. When the 2021 catalog finally comes out some things to consider if you are interested in Scott:

1. The seat post clamp is the same as older foil clamps going back to at least 2016. It’s a Richey 1 bolt type. The catalog will read that the post is compatible with 7x7 up to 7x10 rails. I took that to mean the clamp is that versatile which it’s not. Depending on the model saddle that comes with it will dictate 7x7 or 7x9 clamp.

2. The saddles are in house Syncros which you all know. On the Addict and Foil they are the Belcarra…mine came with the regular 2.0 which is just alloy rails and plastic shell. I think most are 130mm wide. I never intended to use it and am awaiting another Ritchey clamp so i can use my regular saddle. What freaked me out was how limiting the Syncros rails are. Meaning the rails don’t offer much movement fore/aft. With the saddle shoved forward I was a little further back than where I planned to be even though this STA is 73.6 compared to my previous 73 degree STA Factor (reach for both bikes was about the same). Point is I thought the bike was too big. Just keep in mind that saddle rails can restrict your position a great degree.

3. SRAM Force eTap axs is nice and I have been using eTap since 2016. This shifts faster than the 1st gen for sure. The gearing is 48/35 rings and a 10-33 cassette. I’m super pleased with the small gearing as it will keep cadence higher while climbing. I’m a little worried about the bigger gearing. Time will tell. Lots of engineers chiming in saying they don’t understand why SRAM would make the drive train less efficient with smaller diameter rings but, so far I think we are splitting hairs. The wider range is good for us joes.

4. The SRAM bikes come with power meters (Quarq). I’ve been using them forever and while I love them and glad they are included, they way SRAM builds them into a one piece ring design sucks. If you want to switch rings you are buying another PM as the big, small and PM are integrated. I just don’t get it and it suck for the consumer.

5. First hydro disc brakes and compared to rim or mechanical disc they are super nice. Don’t forget to adjust the reach on the levers and the engagement point if you are picky. First time I had to grab brake in the drops my fingers could barely reach the levers…a little oversight on my part.

6. Wheels/tires: mine came with the Syncros Capital 1.0 (carbon 35mm) wheels. They are 21mm wide internal. Not much to report yet. The tires are some version of the Schwalbe One race gaurd at 28mm. Didn’t like so put on the Contigp5k’s=better.

7. Bar/stem are fully integrated, not one piece like the Pro and Ultimate. They are aluminium. The bend, drop and reach are good for me but it comes stock with a 42. I’m used to a 40 and they do feel big. Debating on a one piece once I get the back end dialed and can determine stem length. They are easily adjustable with aero spacers at 2x10mm and 1x20mm.

8. Other: the bikes come from Scott mostly assembled. Chain was cut, group was paired, shifter and all lines installed. Even the saddle was on the post. Not sure if during delivery the front derailleur got bumped but, I had a touch time shifting from small to big ring in anything other than the 33 in back! Strange. After youtube sessions I finally figured out the FD was ever so slightly low. The way the new cage is designed there is less leeway so this thing really needs to be set up proper. Also, for whatever reason, the front “top cap” is this aero cover that clips onto the 2 stem bolts. Torqued to specs my top cap wouldn’t fit. Had to dremel the top cap. Still waiting for Scott on this one. The 2020 were all good. maybe this is an early 2021 screw up. Not sure.

9. Two shorts rides. The 1st sucked as everything needed to be adjusted. Today was much better especially with my position over the BB where I like it. Seems to handle quick up front and very lively. The back end feel like my old 2016 Foil and very comfortable. I think more comfortable than the Foil as the Seat post looks to be thinner walled so probably way more flexy which is good imo.

Will post more when it’s all together and I have more time one it.

3 Likes

That doesn’t sound like a glowing review. I was pretty interested in this bike so curious to hear your thoughts as you get more time.

1 Like

Integrating consumable parts (chainrings) i to a power meter is a classical case of built-in obsolescence. I thought that concept was (finally) dead. “Ship it to us, we’ll replace the rings” is not a reasonable alternative to a 5 minutes swap task.

1 Like