Your FTP improvements

I’m 38, 39 in December :smiley:

1 Like

Username checks out😉

2 Likes

Just started again after an injury of an inflamed tendon behind the shin. Still with physiotherapist, but he allowed me to start cycling and swimming again. No running yet for the upcoming months.

Started in August 2019 with Trainerroad, so let’s hope that my FTP goes up faster than previous year. Still hurts to see the graph though.

7 Likes

Nice progression you had last year, I’m sure you’ll get back up in no time.

What kind of training plan/volume did you do? Love to see these kind of feedback.

Thank you for the kind words. Let’s hope indeed for a quick return.

As for the training I did, it was a bit of a mix. I did do a couple of Olympic and one half triathlons before Trainerroad, but never with a written down plan.

01 August 2019 - January 2020
I actually started with only base from August 2019 until 2020. As I did not train before August 2019 for about half a year and never had trained with a plan, I thought it would really benefit me to do a really long base and apparently it worked. Started with Base-Sprint, went to Base-Olympic, went to Base-Half, but then decided I wanted to do Olympic distance races in the summer 2020 (go figure with Covid-19 :stuck_out_tongue: ) and went back to Base-Olympic.

January 2020 - April 2020
I’m not sure but then around January 2020 the plan builder released and I really wanted to try it. And instead of stagnation it even helped me further in the first few weeks, but then around March-April I found out that my body was tired. I think I was too enthusiastic about the Plan Builder and as it does not have the ability to plan in full rest weeks (unless you remove some weeks yourself) I think I went too hard for too long.

Around March it was I first felt my tendon coming up and as Covid-19 put me in lockdown I tried to train through it, but that was a stupid decision. As I’m still struggling with it now.

Moral of the story

• Should’ve just went easy once al my races were cancelled.
  • Plan builder does not work for everybody. It’s a great tool, but for me personally nothing I will use for the next year as planning the predefined blocks into my own calendar works fine by me and gives me the ability to put full rest weeks between them.
  • I really need those full rest weeks every 6-7 weeks of training or I get an injury.
  • Base training really works for me next to running & swimming.

So sadly, not an easy ‘do this and it works’, but I still hope you get something from this!

2 Likes

Awesome, nice to know you had those results using the triathlon plans.

Were you using the low, mid or high volume plans? I’m currently doing the Olympic mid volume plans, but taking it easy on the running, because I too become easily injured, specially once I increase volume or do too much intensity on the runs.

Going for a ramp test today. Last one was in march so Im wondering how will this go. Current FTP was setted by trainingpeaks at 270 based on a virtualrace in may. Since then I’ve been doing a lot of endurance the last few months and no TR since april. I Guess I can only expect something close to 240w. Lets see…

Eveything I did was mid-volume. From my experience running helps a lot with the FTP increase, but as we’re both easily injured I think we both know what a pain a lot of running can be. From my experience previous year you cannot do your running too slow. In the morning at 7AM in the fitness, the last thing I want to do is do interval on a treadmill, so I just did very easy runs for months and it gave me the perfect base to start from by January/ February when it is time to start training for races.

What I do if I want to increase the volume, is keep the extra volume, but change the running into VERY easy cycling with the same duration. That way mentally it helps as I do the same training week time, but I recover my legs more. Not sure if it will work for you as I’m not a pro :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really rooting for you! Don’t overthink it. Follow the plan and take enough rest. That’s what I found out after a year.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing most of my runs easy too, and it’s been great.

I’ll be rooting for you too. Good luck :grin:

1 Like

Just finished my ramp test… nice FTP increase from 230 watts to 255 watts. Super happy!

7 Likes

Well the expected drop wasnt so big. 256 for now. Lets see if I can get back on those FTP numbers from may.

4 Likes

small bump yesterday, but on the right side of 4w/kg again :slight_smile:

Date W/KG FTP Weight Watts gained W/KG gains Progress AFTER block:
9 dec. 2019 3,36 255 76 - - Outdoor
2 jan. 2020 3,45 262 76 7 0,09 1 month zwift
16 jan. 2020 3,53 268 76 6 0,08 SSBLV1-1
10 feb. 2020 3,72 279 75 11 0,19 SSBLV1-2
23 mrt. 2020 3,84 288 75 9 0,12 SSBLV2
20 apr. 2020 3,84 288 75 0 0,00 Build - Short Power Build LV
19 mei 2020 3,87 290 75 2 0,03 Switching plans (XCM - XC ST)
15 jun. 2020 3,93 295 75 5 0,07 Specialty - Short Track XC LV
21 jul. 2020 4,12 309 75 14 0,19 SSBLV1
1 sep. 2020 4,05 308 76 -1 -0,07 SSBLV2 with 2 week holiday
29 sep. 2020 3,96 297 75 -11 -0,09 Bad build block after holiday + cancelled A-Event (motivation :))
2 nov. 2020 4,01 301 75 4 0,05 SSBLV1

(ow, this is on LV+, which means doing some 75 or 90 minute workouts in stead of the 60s and some outdoor rides, sometimes replacing the weekend ride, sometimes in addition, on avg ~5 hr a week/ 300TSS)

12 Likes

I haven’t popped in here in a long while! 2020 has been interesting, I started the year at 295w for my FTP during SSB2 HV, which looking back upon might have been a bit overreaching, because I went on vacation in Feb and after I came back I really had to set my FTP to 275 for a bit to handle workouts. I did all my training indoors and just following TR base-build-1/2 specialty

March 3-April 19: custom vo2 progression plan, went from 275-285
April 21-July 12: SSB1 and 2 HV: 285w throughout
July 14-Sept 6: Short Power Build: 290w through build
Sept 8-Oct 4: CX specialty: 295w just did half the plan
Oct 6-Nov 1: zwift “race” season: 295w

I’ve been feeling good so I’m pushing to 300w for SSB1 HV, I’ve only done 2 workouts (Antelope and Geiger) but feeling good so far.

6 Likes

I’m a bit taller than you and currently at 85ish kg, I’m considering dropping to 75, any advice or tips ? :grin:

1 Like

As I understood, you are a rower? If that is the case, you are likely rather lean and have a muscular, yet heavy upper body?
Kind of sucks to get rid of muscle mass, but if you were to fully commit to cycling, dropping back on muscle mass in your upper body for the sake of lower weight might be worth it.
Depending on where you ride. If you right flat TTs, you do not need to be mega light. For mountain stages, upper body mass will be a hindrance.

Yeah, got plenty in the upper body, haven’t hit the gym whole year and yet it’s still there ahah

1 Like

Seem to be stuck at 207… granted over that past 2-3 months I had a lot of job stress and was not able to stay consistent with the training.

Weird thing is on my recent rides, I keep seeing new PRs and increases in speed.

So bright side, seems like I’m seeing improvements, but I’m not seeing it in my ramp test… Maybe it’s a mental thing with the ramp test.

2 Likes

Losing upper body mass obviously is a decision to make. It has its pros and cons.
To loose mass, muscle and fat, a caloric deficit will likely be the best way to go. I dropped around 800daily kcal from my powerlifting diet, most of that proteins, and then the added energy need from cycling 10 hours a week did the Rest.
Got me around 18kg down while becoming stronger on the bike (much weaker on the bench on other lifts of course).
87kg:

69kg:

For everyone outside of cycling, I just look weak and unfit now :joy:.
Also quite expensive to buy a lot of new clothing :tired_face:

7 Likes

How long did it take you? I’m in the same boat.

The images are around 2 years apart!

Edit: but I lost the weight within 1 year: I am
Super slender by nature. Getting wide (in comparison to now) took me a lot more effort than looking like stop hunger poster boy. :sweat_smile:

The only remorse I have about it, is dropping Top end power. After 2 months of cycling I hit a peak power of 1421 Watts… nowadays 1100 is a very rare sighting on my Wahoo…
Overall however, I gained 100+ Watts of my FTP and lost 40 pounds, so definitely a better cyclist now.

6 Likes