XTR Vs X01 on a New Ibis

Just found out I cant get my new MTB with XT. I can either pay $1000 more for XTR or $600 more for X01 (with XT brakes)…what would the trainerroad mob do?

Having ridden every groupset on the market right now, spent way too much money on different everything…

I’d get it with SLX if you can. Even regular Deore.

Unless you are racing and concerned about weight, there is very little reason to pay for the higher end groupsets these days because the low end ones shift so well.

Honestly, I have XTR and AXS on two race bikes and I can’t justify buying them again for any regular bike.

2 Likes

I don’t think $1000 is worth it to jump to XTR from XT. Go X01, the Shimano shifts a little smoother but I actually preferred the feel of my old GX shifting compared to the XTR I tried. SRAM shifting just SOUNDS rough but shifts great

1 Like

If you are building a Ripley or a Ripmo I’d say the money is better spent on upgrading the fork to a Grip2 damper if you are going Fox or getting the carbon rims.

2 Likes

its a ripley, I have carbon rims…but have to choose a drivetrain since XT is not available

3 Likes

I have XTR and XT on my two Canyon Exceed hardtails. XTR feels a bit better, but not worth the price difference. My girlfriend has the X01 and it’s shifting nicely as well. But the Shimano is much easier to adjust. If the 01 is only slightly off from the optimum shifting performance is gone.

1 Like

This is a very good point. If you get the X01, make sure you keep the plastic guide that helps you set the B-tension in the largest gear on the Cassette. You will definitely use it.

4 Likes

I’ve found with that properly set I rarely had to tweak my GX setup. The AXS shifts a little better but is mostly just cool, and easy to replace derailleur hangers :rofl:

2 Likes

XTR. SRAM is finicky, no multi up shift, bad ergonomics. I’d consider an AXS group, but then there’s no reason for that since XTR is cheaper.

1 Like

Unless it’s an XC bike I would just go for whatever 12 speed groupset is the cheapest. If you’re looking to spend money suspension is usually better.

2 Likes

X01. Sram’s clutch system is better if you need/want to remove the rear wheel with any regularity. Personal experience is that I do this a couple of times a week to put the bike on/off the trainer and think that it is worth the slightly more finicky setup.

1 Like

I like GX more than I like XTR. Though to be fair, I can’t really tell a difference between GX and XO1 besides looks (and weight). Though the XO1 cassette is the superior cassette no matter what.

I have full XTR on my XC bike. No complaints. But if I had a choice, I would go Sram. Multishift is a gimmick, HG+ barely makes a difference (better shifting technique is WAY more important), and I like the feel of Sram upshifts way more.

X01 on my Enduro.

2 Likes

Slightly unrelated, but the Worldwide Cyclery team is awesome. They seem to love all things MTB, and I’ve had great experiences with them both buying things and asking questions.

1 Like

I thought the political threads were polarizing?

I had no idea this many people on TR were wrong?

:wink:

2 Likes

SRAM brakes are better, prove me wrong :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The XTR brakes on mine have been flawless, much like the Level on my old XC bike, the Guides on my old E29, and now the Codes on my newer E29. I did have negative experiences with older XTR brakes, acting like a light switch.

2 Likes