Workouts too hard

If you don’t believe in the process, then you need to find a new process. Even though you had a “valid ramp test”, it appears your negative experience with TR is due to FTP set too high and/or not enough recovery. If sweet spot didn’t feel like sweet spot or O/U’s crushed you, then obviously something was wrong and you shouldn’t have continued. TR workouts are designed to be tough but doable and you shouldn’t have to constantly burry yourself, especially in Base.

So it looks like you were nonfunctional overreaching that of course led to burnout. This is were YOU as the coach must intervene and adjust the plan. TR attempts to educate its users on how to do that as any cookie cutter plan can’t be right for everyone all the time. That being said, if you’ve lost faith in TR plans, try a new approach, because the best plan will be the one that allows you to be consistent and you believe in.

For reference, TR took me from a FTP of 193 (new to structured training) and mid pack Cat 2 XC racer, to a FTP of 298, winning my Cat 2 XC series and moving up to Cat 1/Expert. All in the span of 14 months and approaching my 43rd birthday. Were there times I felt overly fatigued and burned out? YES! So I adjusted my plan, took an extra recovery week or day when I needed, then pressed on with the TR plan. I also had a high and “valid” FTP test beginning General Base that crushed me physically and mentally.

So I lowered my FTP and continued on, only to surpass that higher FTP a couple months later. Holding on to a too high FTP will ruin the best laid plans.

4 Likes