Why is Mary Austin changed?

Wait…I gotta do this tomorrow. Will my calendar automatically update for the “new” format, or are we back to the original pain train?

If you had an original MA on your calendar it is now as it has always been. If you want to do the new version you need to add MA-1 and remove the old workout.

2 Likes

When I read the start of this thread this morning, I was thinking that it was a pretty good business decision to adjust the plan workouts so that TR customers would be able to finish a workout like MA rather than fail. It can be frustrating to not finish workouts according to the plan and maybe they cancel their subscription and move on. TR has the data to determine whether the majority of its customers are failing a particular workout, right? :wink:

That was this morning, but now I see that I was overthinking things again. :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Based on my inability to finish MA as intended last winter, I personally will be scheduling MA-1. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

You’re too logical. Please stop making sense.

GIVE ME THE AUSTIN PAIN!

2 Likes

God damnit I love you man. This is such a great customer service.

@Alen love you to because I did MA a couple of weeks ago and I feel the same way you do. I’m very happy this bench mark still exists.

2 Likes

This. I only just stumbled on this post and manually changed it out for the -1 version as is recommended by TR/Chad for the plan.
While I can appreciate Chad making the change to suit those asking for it, I think in the future (though this is likely certainly a one-off) it should have been a +1 version rather than forcing those who already have the plan added to their calendar. Most probably won’t see this post and will do the non- updated version due to that.

I have MA next week. I was kinda sad that the original was gone. Trying to do things that are hard. A neat capstone on the end of 12 weeks of base.

1 Like

I guess i got “lucky”, but somehow just did the Mary Austin as a last workout of ssb2 and its original 95-100-105-100-95 :flushed:

2 Likes

so I stumbled upon this thread… Obviously too late lol
My mental game is very strong on the trainer and currently wrapping up week 4 of SS2 LV… At the time I made my plan, leconte was the workout I was destined to do Friday. 2min from the end of the 2nd block my legs failed and I had to take a few minute break. I finished the interval and did the rest of the workout at 85% :see_no_evil:
If only I knew and did MA -1 instead ughhhhh… I guess I’ll do that this friday instead of repeating leconte as the tr plan has now changed to

I have been looking forward to/dreading MA for a while now. I have talked myself in to it assuming a bump in my ftp would essentially make MA =The new MA-1

I have never liked her. She has always been really Bi-otchy with me. She laughed at me when i failed the first attempt and again when i had to turn down the intensity. I would have laughed in her face when i finally made it in my third attempt if i wasn’t whimpering in pain. I used the original as a bench mark for progress. I am not sure if i will switch it out to the original one or use the new one. I am 1 for 3. I won a battle but she is definitely winning the war. Damm you Mary Austin

3 Likes

So glad I’m not the only one terrified of Mary Austin, she crushed me on the 12th of last month, came back on the 20th and just hung in there. She’s a tough nut to crack thats for sure.

1 Like

I’m not going to lie, I did the ‘easy’ Austin last week, before I knew things had been tweaked. Lucky me :relaxed:

1 Like

There is no shame in not completing Leconte and Mary Austin. This will be my 4th try at those 2.

1 Like

If you can do 0.92 for 90 min, your ftp has def gone up. Otherwise with a correct ftp and no taper, it has a very high failure rate.

1 Like

I can understand the mentality that pain is necessary, and the satisfaction with cracking hard workouts. But I am glad that @chad revised SSB II in general :+1: The old version seemed to scale too steeply towards the end. Last year, had to repeat the 3rd week and dial down the last week.

2 Likes

I genuinely thought (and this is how I talked my self through) that I was supposed yo get fitter week after week making Kaiser possible in week 5 after Spencer burned to near failure in week 4. I may just be de-tuned enough for this to be working, but I think the proper mental attitude helps a bit too. I want it more than my friends (that my dumb ass told about Trainerroad after I tore their tires off this spring)

3 Likes

I happen to be in the same ish boat (in the middle of the plan after chad updated it) but wondering what to do for the 5th week of the plan… Spencer was a breeze for me, and Kaiser just looks boring by just adding another interval… I’m going to do MA -1 this week instead of the full version just cuz I rather successfully carry on with my training kinda thing heading into a rest week err Disaster Day lol

I wonder what Coach @chad would suggest for 5th week vo2s after Spencer :pray:

also anecdotal tip @Patrickfleege would be to add an extra 10min at 40% WU prior to starting a vo2 workout (via Workout Creator):
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/moshecattan/rides/44438154-spencer-extra-wu

Just completed Mary Austin. This came on my playlist during the final block. Never has a song (and video) felt more appropriate for a workout, especially the section between 3m 55sec and 4m 40sec.

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy

2 Likes

I used the extended warm up today to do what you suggested and you are right, it really helped. I nailed Mary Austin.

1 Like